Anodes

Austin19

Reaction score
This may have asked a thousand times and answered as much, but is there a need for anodes attached to my pontoon boat. Just took delivery on March 13th. It sits on a trailer right now and soon will be in a fresh water slip. The slip had stray electrical current a couple of years ago that is supposedly repaired. The key word there is supposedly.

Another question along this line is regarding the anodes on the Yamaha F90 HP motor. Are they zinc, aluminum or magnesium? This boat will always be in fresh water.

I wouldn't take a chance. Mine are all Zinc. Unlike a saltwater environment, the anodes last for years. I only boat in freshwater.

I wouldn't worry about the stray current unless you are going to use shore power such as a battery charger or more. Your Yamaha should have zinc from factory and I agree with GWLK in that fresh water is much more gentle on anodes. They will last years. My first Yamaha was a 1988 model that I used 23 years and never changed any anodes. They were fine when I sold that boat too. It was used on Lake Meade Nevada mostly and lived on a trailer not in a slip. I tow my 2018 Benny 65 miles to launch in Lake Havasu AZ now and would not want the headaches of being slipped somewhere.

Congrats on a fine purchase. Your Benny will serve you well with proper care and maintenance.

Hi Austin 19,

Did you install Magnesium Anodes on your boat?

How did the magnesium work out?

On my 2019 Bennington tritoon the upper anode on the Mercury 115 , comparing weight of aluminum part to magnesium part, appears to be aluminum.

I need some hull protection too. No pitting for 1 1/2 years but....... recently diver-hull cleaner says white spots on the hull.
Tritoon cleaned in Lake Havasu slip on monthly schedule.

Pulled boat and yes pitting is starting!

I ordered the bracket to weld on and add another anode the other tube as well.

Thanks Dan

Sacrificial anodes.....Magnesium for fresh water, Zinc for saltwater and Aluminum for both.......

Thank You BigKahuna

My issues from reading too much on the net are:

Statement on a anode sales website. "You can over protect an aluminum hull"...Hmmm...Well that has not been explained. My guess is it references aluminum hulls with antifouling paint, presumably salt water but not stated, which because of copper content in paint being less noble in a thin film, may cause paint bubbling and there fore hull damage from marine fouling like barnacles.

Just guessing as I could never find a real explanation of the you can over protect an aluminum hull statement.

2nd issue is "don't mix anode metals"...What happens if you put magnesium on the hull with aluminum on the outboard? I've read many people are putting magnesium on pontoons..

Thanks again Dan

Back