Anodes

JJLKK

Reaction score
Just purchased a used 2013 Bennington pontoon with a Yamaha 50 hp outboard. I noticed that there are no anodes on the motor. Do I need these for use on fresh water lakes in Michigan?

Last edited:
Just purchased a used 2013 Bennington pontoon with a Yamaha 50 hp outboard. I noticed that there are no anodes on the motor. Do I need these for use on fresh water lakes in Michigan?
Anodes are for salt water or mixed water. Maybe brackish water too???

Anyway, for fresh water you don’t need them at all. Out of curiosity, where in Michigan. Specific lake, or trailering around?

Lots of us from Michigan in this forum. Welcome aboard and congratulations on your Bennington.

Thanks for your reply Jeff. We're in the Gaylord area and we mostly trailer around.
Nice! A few of us in various location north and south of you…well, east and west of you as well. I’m down on Houghton Lake myself. Cannot go wrong in any direction heading out from Gaylord.

Do you need anodes in fresh water?

Essentially, fresh water is a much less conductive environment than salt water, therefore magnesium anodes are your best choice as they are much more active (less noble) than zinc or aluminum anodes. The result is increased efficiency thus superior protection for your underwater metal components. I've always had sacrificial anodes on our boats and motors and we've boated mostly in fresh water. Extra protection just in case!

Anodes are for salt water or mixed water. Maybe brackish water too???

Anyway, for fresh water you don’t need them at all. Out of curiosity, where in Michigan. Specific lake, or trailering around?

Lots of us from Michigan in this forum. Welcome aboard and congratulations on your Bennington.

Not exactly true. If you are on docks with electric, or docking on a shoreline with electric close by, it’s good insurance if there’s any stray voltage.

Good points above about being in water where there is a possibility of electrical current. Hadn’t considered that.

Curious how many people in fresh water have them on their pontoon boats? I don’t know anyone around me that does, so I hadn’t considered electrical concerns in my reply above. Probably depends on ones location and surroundings as to whether they are useful or needed.

Good points above about being in water where there is a possibility of electrical current. Hadn’t considered that.

Curious how many people in fresh water have them on their pontoon boats? I don’t know anyone around me that does, so I hadn’t considered electrical concerns in my reply above. Probably depends on ones location and surroundings as to whether they are useful or needed.
My Mercury came with the Anodes and they are getting used! Every two weeks I have to scrape off the crust. Our RV Resort dock has lights, could use some maintenance, and I am sure the electrical current is significant.

Back