Any ESP results with new Yamaha 200HP 4 cyl

I cannot remember anyone on this website saying they have the 200 hp 4 cylinder engine. It's 121 lbs. lighter than the 6 cylinder, but the 6 cylinder engine has much more torque at lower rpm's. Come to think of it, I've seen more 225 and 250 SHO's recently on tritoons.

Like Yamaha says, there's no substitution for cubic inches.

I would like to see F200 4 cylinder vs 200 6 cylinder comparison on duplicate boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
487lbs vs 505 @ 20" or 2.8L vs 4.2L . That's only 18lbs, but a HUGE displacement difference. I can tell ya which one I'd be buying. :rolleyes: I can lose stand to lose a bit of weight anyways. ;)

There's no substitute for cubic inches.

If you go to the Yamaha Performance Bulletins and look up each motor for Bennington, the have a test for both engines with the ESP package. 40mph vs 42.5 mph on similar models.

Not sure how they tested this. Isn't 150 is still max horse for twin elips no matter the length?

My guess is Yamaha wants them to up rate some of them to 200 for this reason so perhaps this is testing for that possibility.

They even put the 4.2L SHO 200 on a 2250 with twin ellipticals. The boat ran 48.2 mph :eek: ! I can see an easy 50+mph with some set up time and the right prop :rolleyes: .

They even put the 4.2L SHO 200 on a 2250 with twin ellipticals. The boat ran 48.2 mph :eek: ! I can see an easy 50+mph with some set up time and the right prop :rolleyes: .
I think the issue is when someone tries one of those flat turns it at those kind of speeds it can't be good. The twin elliptical with 150 I rode in last fall at the open house rode as good as anything I've been on though. Like an old Caddy. Very, very nice.

Twin ellips and my std 3 tuber turn about the same at speed, which isn't good, but I'm okay with that for everyday cruising. If Bennington raises the HP rating to 200hp for the twin Elliptical boats, I'll strongly consider ordering a new one because of the extra performance with the additional HP. With the Ellip / 200hp I can get great speed and better economy vs the ESP with 250+hp. I'll be giving up that nice turning ability to do it though. Hard decision.

My curiosity is peaked with the dry weight of the VMAX 200 and 250 being the same; I'm curious what other factors play into the rating of Max HP.

My curiosity is peaked with the dry weight of the VMAX 200 and 250 being the same; I'm curious what other factors play into the rating of Max HP.
If it's anything like the Verado it's just ECM mapping and resulting premium fuel requirements. All of the Verado 6 cylinder internals are the same. It's just a different program and stickers you're paying for, in addition to the variety of lower unit types and shaft lengths.

If it's anything like the Verado it's just ECM mapping and resulting premium fuel requirements. All of the Verado 6 cylinder internals are the same. It's just a different program and stickers you're paying for, in addition to the variety of lower unit types and shaft lengths.
Right, so if a 200 HP can be used on a 150 Max HP boat, why couldn't a 250 be used if the footprint is the same as the 250?

Weight is a static thing just sitting there so no difference. Once it's moving it is dynamic so the forces of more power delivery, acceleration, and speed are factors on the transom and hull structure.

You'd think you could send off the ECU of a 150 SHO and get it punched to 200 hp or more. Won't be so easy, as the fuel injection throat/butterfly is smaller on the 150 SHO. Still would prefer the V-6 F200 due to cubic inches and the fact that it's been around a few years providing good service.

You can, and in a few years I'm going to do that with my 250 VMax, just don't want to do too much while it is under warranty. It's one of thos, "when I win the lottery" ideas.

I just delivered a new 25'R ESP with the new Yamaha 200HP 4 cyl to Raystown lake PA. The package worked great and the ESP handling is the perfect starting point, our customer wanted the 150 Hp and we upgraded him with the 200. my recommendation , this is the minimum motor to start with. if the budget allows, i would look into the 200 HP 6 cyl SHO. the midrange pull and overall power is worth the money. My demo boat has the 250 SHO and we love the overall power and handling.

feel free to call our dealership, F & S Yamaha & Marine 717-632-6382

Tim

What kind of numbers was it hitting do you know? (speed, acceleration)

Back