Anyone w/GSR Tri-Toons Taking on Water??

renwallr

Reaction score
Neighbors w/two GSR's, S&R series, tri-toons, on two separate days, with no whitecaps or high waves, water came onto/through the front of both boats, on the carpeting, all the way into the middle of the boats. Called dealer to find out why this could be happening (trimmed the motors btw), said must have been 4-5 foot waves.  ABSOLUTELY no waves of any kind.  These pontoons were purchased because we were told they are steady, never get wet/any water onto the boat. Very concerned -- need some help/answers!  Thanks...

How many people on board? What size motor? Pictures if boat sitting In water would help as well.

Do they have extended bow? Under skinning? Did they look to see if some of the under skinning is bent down? What about the wave shield, is it bent? ESP, SPS, or Express toon? I don't think I've ever heard of someone having this issue, so need all the details. 

Did you have a bunch of people on the bow of the boats? I've never seen a toon take on water from the front other than waves or improper loading.

Is it massive amounts of water?

Are you sure it's from when boating? You didn't have a lot of rain recently did you?

Can you post up some pics so we can see what/where you are getting the water?

Thanks so much to all of you for prompt responses...I'm new to posting so hope I'm dong this correctly.  I'll answer as many questions as I can, here goes: 1) We had 5 people on the boat -- 2 in the front, person each in the captain seats and one in the back, so evenly spread out; 2) I wouldn't say massive amount of water but it was a lot...so much so our feet were slopping in the water, and it trailed almost to one of the captain's chairs; 3) Definitely nothing to do w/rain...we cover our boat every night and it has a full canopy covering it -- it was dry when we took it out, so was our neighbor's -- we knew exactly when the water started coming in, we hit a small wave (trust me, it was small!), and in it came, not only that time but rest of the ride every time we hit a wave from another boat, in it came!; 4) Didn't think to post pics, will do that next weekend...no doubt it will happen again; 5) We have extended bow, underskinning & ESP pkge., underskinning not bent, wave shield not bent (both boats are brand new, 2 hours on one, 3 hours on another); 6) 200HP Yamaha.  Needless to say, we ain't happy right now...dealer told us, well, had to be the waves were 4-5 feet - NO WAY, we're not on Lake Michigan, it's a medium size lake!!! 

Our ESP is 2275 without the extended front deck (2013 model). I can't imagine the front getting close to the water level in any conditions we see, even fully loaded. Our main issue is surf/wake boats and I've never had a problem getting through them. I always use a little power to do it, rather than just sit and bob up and down, but I'm not sure it would matter.

Ours is really buoyant and balanced with bias to the rear since the Verado is heavy. I wonder if the 2375 with the ext front deck and a 4 cyl Yamaha could have changed the balance that much to allow that to happen? Very strange.

We have a 22s with SPS and a 150hp.  Can't imagine water coming over the front.  I would say in general our sits rather bow high, we have the extended front bow, which I would say adds little to the front in terms of weight.  We were out yesterday on our lake in some pretty heavy chop and it just flies across rough chop, even crossing wakes.  Steady 35mph with 6 of us on board.  For us, it seems most people migrate to the front of the boat and I've never even had splashes over the bow...although sometimes on the side when I realize I left my fenders out ;)

I test drove one Lake Erie and didn't experience this.

Are you saying that you nose plowed (shovel scoop) the front beneath the water line? If so, and waves were not high or very choppy at slow speeds causing a heavy bobbing effect (TomS) check your toons for damage.

Or did a little water splash into the boat? If so, then it's a boat, water does splash from time to time. I can drench my front passengers when playing hard, ie slalom style banking with hard circles.

Do you ride with the front gate open?

Just walked over to my neighbor, said Forum members are very helpful!  So...here goes: we did not go below water line...wakes coming and going, just did not take the waves well and water came in.  It was a significant amount of water, when I say we walked on the carpets and both toons squished, I mean it squished.  Between neighbor (had a Bennie before the new one)  and us, we've both had 'toons before, know you can get water with big chop, high waves.  We had neither -- that's what's got us so unnerved.  We don't have the front gate exposed...both boats have the insertable/removeable cushion, which is what we're wondering might be the problem.  But even if it is, the design/engineering should have built water barrier knowing it's in the front, makes no sense.  How do we find out if others are experiencing this...it can't be a coincidence that two brand new boats within a day of one another get water soaking almost half of a 25 foot toon .

I have a new GSR and have had it out in some heavy lake chop. I only have a twin toon with lifting strakes and have never had a drop of water come over the bow. It's not a design problem!

So how does it sit in the water? Is it still a little bow high when at rest? Definitely need some pics of the front end, something has to be out of whack.

After your on plane are you trimming the motor up? If you leave it all the way in the lowered position that will cause the bow to drop and plow thru the waves.

Agreed. Photos of the boats sitting in the water will likely help. Is there any water in the center storage? Do you have the bilge pump on? When you lift the back access hatch where the fuel tank access is can you see water?

I'll bet he's running with he motor all the way down. As we know that will make the bow drop or plow. The bigger the motor in the down position  the more it will drop. I'd have my dealer take a ride to see what the boat is really doing.

I guess i'm a bit confused (naturally!) is the water coming over the deck, or coming up through the floor?

Even though it has underskinning, there may be an unsealed seam in the floor, or it's missing the plastic deflector on one of the floor seams?

I guess i'm a bit confused (naturally!) is the water coming over the deck, or coming up through the floor?

Even though it has underskinning, there may be an unsealed seam in the floor, or it's missing the plastic deflector on one of the floor seams?
This makes the most sense to me. I know the standard wave shield does not go all the way up to the bow, stops maybe 1 crossmember back. If that deck seam wasn't sealed it would be possible for water to come up through there. I actually had wave shield added on mine at the factory, all the way to the bow.

I have the same problem with my 2275 if I have more than two people in the front seating area.  I do keep my motor trimmed all the way down once on plane, I will try trimming up to see it that helps

I think the sweet spot is around 75% trim if I remember from my dealer.

2550 Rcb esp 300 yamaha 10 people on board 5 adults 5 kids. 4 foot waves white caps never had water come over front onto floor.

Back