assuming mold on seats when pulled out of storage

jgelvin

Reaction score
What a unpleasant surprise to find this brownish mold all over certain seats after keeping my boat in the dry caves all winter.
Would LOVE to hear what members have successfully used to get rid of what appears to be a brownish splotchy mold.
I used Boat Bling Premium vinyl and leather cleaner and it helped about 40%.
I have taken my boat in for a new cover and will be getting it back this next week. Wishing to have enough ideas to go out and buy something that works great so I can get it back in great shape again! Here are some photos of what it looked like when the cover came off.
boat seats 1.jpgboat seats 2.jpgboat seats 3.jpg

Not sure if you have the traditional vinyl or the Simtex but I saved this some time back. It states how to clean the simtex. Look at the last 2 pages. I might try some diluted bleach water on a small spot you can't see first and if that seems safe scrub the mold with it. Be sure to rinse well afterward. Good luck!

Attachments

• Bennington Simtex.pdf
    461.9 KB · Views: 20
Yikes! Not what you want to see when you pull the cover off in the spring. I've had good luck with both Zinsser Jomax (bleach-free) as well as X-14 (contains bleach). It would be great if you could document what you do and the results, so others can learn from your experience. Good luck...

Not sure if you have the traditional vinyl or the Simtex but I saved this some time back. It states how to clean the simtex. Look at the last 2 pages. I might try some diluted bleach water on a small spot you can't see first and if that seems safe scrub the mold with it. Be sure to rinse well afterward. Good luck!
Thanks for the attachment! I will print off and check it out.
JBG

Yikes! Not what you want to see when you pull the cover off in the spring. I've had good luck with both Zinsser Jomax (bleach-free) as well as X-14 (contains bleach). It would be great if you could document what you do and the results, so others can learn from your experience. Good luck...
Will write these down and look in to them!

Not what you want to stumble onto when getting the boat out of storage. Best of luck with it based on the suggestions above.

Marine 31 has been the best product we found for traditional vinyl. It has bleach so we keep the threads protected when using.

Marine 31 has been the best product we found for traditional vinyl. It has bleach so we keep the threads protected when using.
So...... my quick (and possibly stupid) question to you would be what is the best way to protect the threads. Just not getting this product close to where the seams are? Thanks for the answer in advance.

Put Vaseline on the threads or stay away from the threads. If some gets on them, rinse with water that you have standing by.

Back