At dock fueling

Jim & Mikki

Reaction score
Good Morning, Our new 2275 GCW is sitting waiting for us when we return to Florida in October. (Very tough just looking at pictures) - This is our first boat and I have been reading all of the horror stories about problems with fueling their Bennington. The dock where we will be able to get corn free fuel is about chest high above our boat. How do you handle fueling from the side if you cannot stand on the dock to fuel? Is it a situation where they could pass down the hose and I could hang over the side to fuel or is the filler neck too hard to reach from the inside of the boat? Probably a stupid question but I'm having trouble trying to picture being on the boat and fueling to an outside filler neck. Thanks for any input. Jim

Most fuel filling is done with the boat beside a boat dock or with the boat on a trailer.

You'll want to be facing the filler neck because you need to see exactly what's going on. Fill the boat too fast, and gasoline will pour out, down the side of the boat into the water. You don't want that.

I'm guessing the fuel dock is a fixed dock and you'll be boating in tidal waters. When I worked at a marina in NJ on the Manasquan river inlet, we used to pass the nozzle down to the boaters at the fuel dock. It shouldn't be a problem with the Benny to fuel from the inside of the boat. Just be carefull and pump it slow. And another thought, the dockhands should be able to help you out also. Welcome to the "toon" world B)

I'm guessing the fuel dock is a fixed dock and you'll be boating in tidal waters. When I worked at a marina in NJ on the Manasquan river inlet, we used to pass the nozzle down to the boaters at the fuel dock. It shouldn't be a problem with the Benny to fuel from the inside of the boat. Just be carefull and pump it slow. And another thought, the dockhands should be able to help you out also. Welcome to the "toon" world B)

You're right. The dock is fixed and is located in tidal water. Sounds like one thumbs up and one thumbs down. Thanks for your response.

Since you have the GCW, you won't have any problems fueling from inside the boat. I have an RCW and fill my boat while trailered and the jockey hands the pump to me and I just kneel on the rear lounger and lookout over the rail. You can actually put your ear right beside and listen for the change in gurgle to know when it is almost full. Don't worry, have fun when you finally get out on it!

Derrick

One thing to note if you don't have the center fuel tank, look on this site for the topic on fueling up where people are talking about air locks/gas spilling out, hopefully you can remedy the problem before it is one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you have the GCW, you won't have any problems fueling from inside the boat. I have an RCW and fill my boat while trailered and the jockey hands the pump to me and I just kneel on the rear lounger and lookout over the rail. You can actually put your ear right beside and listen for the change in gurgle to know when it is almost full. Don't worry, have fun when you finally get out on it!

Derrick

One thing to note if you don't have the center fuel tank, look on this site for the topic on fueling up where people are talking about air locks/gas spilling out, hopefully you can remedy the problem before it is one.
We don't have the center fuel tank. Your information makes me feel a whole lot better. (Except for the fact that we have to wait two more months to see our new boat. Thanks Jim

Back