Avast the scurvy swabs...

Ilovegt100

Reaction score
Prepare to be boarded... I took the family and inlaws out for our inaugural night cruise through the DC monuments and got boarded by the coast guard for missing a red navigation lens. They were polite and professional and genuinely were concerned for our safety. They gave me a safety check and then attached a red light stick to my cleat. Ironically enough my boat was going in for shake down repairs anyways today.

They were following me for like 15 min in a no wake zone after pulling a fast u-turn. It was just after coming on plane past the no wake zone that they caught me and fast. Anyone else ever had the pleasure before? I thought they were going to tell me I was on fire.

I got pulled over in a channel many years back in my big boat. They counted people, PFDs and asked about a fire extinguisher. It had been left behind in the truck back at the launch ramp. They told me the fine was $2500 and directed me to return immediately to the ramp and retrieve it.

Aye aye, sir! Whew!

Back in my youth....

Anytime on a PWC on a public lake near me, we were almost certain to be stopped.

I was out in the GoM about 8 miles or so SW of Sanibel Island when I could see the gods were about to do a "Hammer & Anvil" move on me.  There was a storm that was north of me by about 75 miles that I had been watching throughout the day, but it was stationary, so wasn't too concerned.  There was something that was starting to brew just to the south of Naples, and it had potential, so I decided to head back in, just cruising along about 16 mph (3100 rpm, my sweet spot for mpg).  All of a sudden the stationary storm wasn't stationary any more - it was heading south, while the one down by Naples started moning north.  These two were going to converge and get real ugly, and I was still about 5 miles out.

I went WOT all the way in, and just as I neared Sanibel lighthouse the Coasties rolled in on me in one of their big RIBs.  They tied up and two guys came aboard.  "You were really moving sir.  Is something wrong?" he asked me.  I pointed to the two storms that were getting ready to dance together, and he said, "Oh, it'll be fine".  I told him, "sure...for you inside that pilot house!" and we both laughed at that.  They completed the safety inspection, and found no discrepancies.  He did comment on my boat.  "This thing really moves for a pontoon boat.  I clocked you at 37 mph".  I gave him the tour of the boat (dual fuel tanks, shower, safety gear, etc.) and he was genuinely impressed.  I think he was surprised at just how fast we can go in these boats.

BTW, got caught in that storm just as I was tying up in my slip.  It rained like a cow pissin' on a flat rock!  All I could think of was that Coastie "Oh, it'll be fine".

Last edited by a moderator:
Got stopped a couple times over the years. The one I remember the most was on Lake Anna on 4th of July weekend with our old bowrider back in the late 90's. A county police boat pulled me over and wanted to check to see if I had an open alcoholic beverage container. Apparently they were by the 208 bridge and they were checking out boaters with binoculars and they thought they saw me drinking. First thing out of my mouth..........I'm a police officer, I'm armed and there is no alcohol on this boat. They wanted to know where the weapon was, checked my credentials, and I opened my cooler and showed them soft drinks and food. 

Stop over.........

Haven't been pulled over yet. Our lake is finally getting patrolled so it has been fun watching people get stopped. One boat didn't have mc numbers. One jet ski had two people on it and two on the tube. Stuff like that. I did remember my throw able device was at home and snuck over to get it.

Joy and I were stopped by the ODNR just this Saturday.  I had my under deck lights on and running about 8 mph.  That was the "excuse" for a safety and sobriety check.  The funny thing is the officer told me it was not illegal to have them they just prefer people don't run with them on.  I'm thinking to myself, "really"?  No strobes, multiple colors, etc.  Said it confuses boaters.  Now I hope I'm not nit picking but that's a pretty lame excuse.  Being on the lake and applying a little common sense, I would almost certainly be inclined to say that I would avoid ANY type of light is see regardless of color, LOL!  Understanding that everyone has a different thought on this but really.  I have seen plenty of boats with the under deck lights on and not once have I been confused about what I was looking at.  You have a red or green light and a white light.  The under deck light is along the water line and mine is ?? foot long.  Its hard to be confused but that's just me.

In any case, passed the safety and sobriety checks with no issues and we went on our way. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I look innocent. I am 50 and been on the lake all my life. Owned and operated everything from ski boats to house boats. I have never been boarded and have always been on heavily patrolled lakes. I am glad they are out there patrolling and keeping us safe. We have a lot of people on the lake that are very careless and do not know the laws of the water.

At the gulf, the coast guard will randomly stop people.  Checking for life preservers, a throwable, fire extinguisher, horn or whistle.

This is done, with no violation visible for a reason to stop.  I have been stopped 3 or 4 times and I almost never am on the water on the weekends.

We were pulling out last week in SD. Officer walked down the dock and verified we had enough jackets, a throwable, our extinguisher was charged and that I had not had anything to drink.

Very professional.

Works for me.Glad they are out there.

Now, it would have been nice if he had been out on the water when the guy passed me from behind so close I could have hit him with my paddle. Idiots...

Brian

I was on my fathers Bertram Boat off Catalina Island when we were boarded by Fish and Game. My son and dad were fishing and I was reading a book. I saw them coming in their black tactical jumpsuits. There were three officers. Two were nice, but the third--who seemed to be in charge-- was a jerk. He demanded to see my fishing license. Told him I'm not fishing. His position was that I had to have a fishing license since people were fishing. I disagreed politely, the first time. He kept it up with threats of citing me etc. He then stated he was coming on board to search the boat. He has that right. As the boat was rocking, I knew it was a matter of time until they saw my holstered gun. So I let them know I had a gun and a ccw. I let him look at my ccw. He claimed it was only good in the issuing county and I needed a fishing license. I had enough. I explained the ccw was good in the state and gave him the penal code. I then asked him for the F&G code he would cite me for "not fishing without a fishing license." He had no answer. The other two officers were rolling their eyes at the idiot. I then told him he no longer had PC to be on the boat and to get the hell off. I gave him a heads up on a bit of my background and I handed him my business card as he kept threatening me. He took it and quietly left. I found out he was transferred back east somewhere.

Oh great!  Thanks for sending him to us!  :D

Actually, that was a typo. He was transferred up north to Northern California.

Cheers, Steve

.... I found out he was transferred back east somewhere.

Oh great!  Thanks for sending him to us!  :D

Actually, that was a typo. He was transferred up north to Northern California.

Cheers, Steve

Sounds like the average IQ of BOTH places went up! LOL  :lol:

Back