Batteries

Butchkid

Reaction score
I have a 2575 QCW IO. I have battery 1, battery 2, or battery 1&2 as options. I have a plug in the back to trickle charge. I ran into a problem recently where my radio wouldn't work (the amp light was off) and the engine shutoff when I was cruising across the lake and hit the trim button. I was set to battery 2 and hadn't trickle charged ever. Someone told me I should be set to 1&2 because 1 cranks the engine and 2 runs my electronics, and the alternator charges 1 first. Is that accurate?

so who's on 1st???

Just kidding this is a great question as I'm looking at putting some subs and an amp on the boat and the stereo shop asked me how my 2 batteries were configured. I'll try to stop in and ask my dealer and let you know what they say unless someone puts up an answer before then

Thanks. When I switched to battery 1 I ran fine and the amp worked so battery 2 was definitely low. Cruising across the lake for 5 minutes didn't charge 2 up enough to solve the problem so I ran on 1&2 the rest if the night without any trouble. Since then I plug in when I am in the slip and I havent had any trouble with anything. What should my default setting be?

It all depends upon how it was wired on how you should use it. If it has a charging diode installed, your engine should (key word :) ) charge both batteries while running however often if there is a switch there is no diode and vice versa. Let's assume you don't have the diode setup.

Most of the time the purpose of two batteries is so your engine has one source of power and your accessories(typically radio or trolling motor or whatever) have another. This way you listen to the radio all day and not worry about being able to start the motor to head home. Typically the switch indicates what battery(s) is/are connected to the motor. This dictates what is used for starting the motor and for what is being charged by the motor. Often the lights are also on the motor circuit so be careful not to drain both batteries at the same time. As a rule of thumb, it is best to leave the switch in 1-2 any time you are running and for short duration stops. This way they are both being charged and should be relatively full at all times. When you pull up to the sandbar for the day, switch the switch to #1. This is assuming that your radio is attached to battery #2 downstream from the switch. Go ahead and listen to the radio till it stops, then start the boat up and switch the switch back to 1-2 and head for the dock or go for a charging cruise. Really the only reason to ever switch to #2 is because #1 went dead somehow (remember I said something about lights being on the motor circuit.)

Now, here are some important tips to find out:

• If one battery is a normal cycle and one is a deep cycle they can not be charged at the same time and the 1-2 selector should never be used. The two batteries will fight each other for the charge and both will end up not charged. You can charge one or the other but not both.
  • If both are the same type of battery do not run one down and then switch the switch to 1-2 and then sit around waiting to start the boat. Half of the full charge will transfer to the dead battery and you will be left with two half charged batteries, that probably will not start your boat. If your not ready to leave, that is fine just wait to flip the switch.
  • If your 2nd battery power consumption devices are a bunch of stereo amps and what not. Keep in mind that your battery will last longer without all of the amps running. It makes no sense to sit on the sandbar with bunch of amps powered up and the volume turned down. From my experience I only need the power of the Amps to be able to blast the music while motoring. Turn the amps off and the radio up.

I just took delivery of my RCW 2275 with the dual batteries and switch. The battery switch was in the off position but the boat runs fine. My thought is that nothing should work when in the off postion. Tried all four position and the boat starts on all settings. Sounds like the battery switch is not hooked up properly on my toon and that it is running all the time on boath batteries. Thoughts???

You are correct, nothing should work in the off position. Given the boat is new, talk to your dealer first, if they can't help, or they are too far away for you to go to them, then let us here on the forum know, and we'll talk you through troubleshooting the problem. Otherwise, how do you like your new toy so far? Post some pics please!

Absolutely love the boat. Been around boating most of my life but never had a pontoon. I think it must be the perfect type of boat for a lake. We have a few pics in the Gallery but when I try to post here, it states my file is too large. I'm new to forums and posting pics so maybe someone chould advise.

Absolutely love the boat. Been around boating most of my life but never had a pontoon. I think it must be the perfect type of boat for a lake. We have a few pics in the Gallery but when I try to post here, it states my file is too large. I'm new to forums and posting pics so maybe someone chould advise.
I have the same switch but added a voltage-sensing relay to isolate the batteries when the motor is off.

Back