Battery Charging while Towing

kkitowski

Reaction score
What are the best options to charge the batteries while towing the pontoon?  I have a dual battery setup, so the 2nd battery (from what I am told) won't get charged from the motor alternator.  How can I use the tow vehicle charge wire to charge it while towing, much like a trailer trailer would charge it's batteries through the 7way plug? 

Anyone have a good, elegant, clean looking solution?

Well,  first we need to know what battery setup you have, and why you cannot charge the second batt onboard.

Otherwise, yes you can, but it will involve quite a bit of work, so fixing the existing system is a better option.

Fill us in on the details, and lets see where it goes.

I thought its 1 - 2 - BOTH switch? Something doesn't sound right. If it's on both, then both charge underway (on water) correct??

If on 1 or 2 then that battery charges.

I have the dual battery setup and was told to always run in "both" mode so both will stay charged

Mine are set up so that I always run with switch in "1". I am told both batteries charge, the second is always kept in reserve, fully charged. Not sure if this is series or parallel, but the first time it fails I will get sideways with the dealer....

The way I read it kkitowski's question was how to charge the batteries while TOWING.  I would have to think that if he was worried about it prior to towing he should have a trickle charge on the batteries 

He might be confused because he doesn't have his boat yet.

Thanks for filling in for me cwag911.... you're right, no boat until Thursday.  I was basing my research and questions on what the dealer mentioned to me on Saturday when I finalized the Lowrance, etc.  Dealt with me having the GCWB mega bar deck plan and how the refrig ran off the 2nd deep cycle battery.  He might be wrong as well.....

I will hold and look at things when I get the boat Thursday.  Can't wait!!!  Pick it up at 10:30am, and weather permitting, have a boat load of people planned for 5:30 maiden voyage!  :)

Remember ...... PICS or it ain't true !!! :)

I was also told both will charge while under way ,when the selector switch is on 1 & 2 

I was also told both will charge while under way ,when the selector switch is on 1 & 2 
With the factory dual battery option, that is correct. The batteries are just placed in parallel by the switch.

With the factory dual battery option, that is correct. The batteries are just placed in parallel by the switch.
I agree...Both batteries should charge in the "BOTH" or the " 1& 2" position   But, dont leave the selector switch on 1&2 all the time. This position will also run both batteries down if  you are pulling a draw with no charge in place. ie: running a stereo with big amps while floating. I alternate the individual 1 & 2 positions each day to keep both batteries charged up so if I ever do have a battery run down, I'm able to switch to the spare. When I was younger and thought I needed a BIG STEREO SYSTEM, I ran 2 batteries on the #1 side and had my spare hooked up to the #2 side. OK, I'm sorry that I made that little "jab" to you young guys.. :lol:

I agree...Both batteries should charge in the "BOTH" or the " 1& 2" position   But, dont leave the selector switch on 1&2 all the time. This position will also run both batteries down if  you are pulling a draw with no charge in place. ie: running a stereo with big amps while floating. I alternate the individual 1 & 2 positions each day to keep both batteries charged up so if I ever do have a battery run down, I'm able to switch to the spare. When I was younger and thought I needed a BIG STEREO SYSTEM, I ran 2 batteries on the #1 side and had my spare hooked up to the #2 side. OK, I'm sorry that I made that little "jab" to you young guys.. :lol:
Thanks ,but you are younger  :p

Do I still get my "Free Beer " ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ,but you are younger  :p

Do I still get my "Free Beer " ?
Hey Jack, I'm glad you finally got something in that slip. Boat looks great and I like the tower. I wanted one but storage did not afford it. I see you have one of those "Derrick Mirrors" too.  Paying that much for a mirror was a secret kept from my wife but I really like it.

That free beer is definately still an option... just drag your old a** down here and I'll feel the cooler with your favorite selection...

Oh heck.... this must be one of those times that the thread goes into an entirely direction....

Been busy over the last 3 weeks, so not much time for forum.  But at least got out and have near 18 hours on the new Bennington.

Related to the battery question I posed.... it wasn't entirely complete.  I actually have 3 batteries in my boat.  I have the 1 & 2 batteries for the main motor, stereo, lights, etc.  My 3rd battery is the "house" battery for the refrigerator in the mega bar.  It appears that is the only thing connected at this point.

So, the motor will definitely charge the 1 & 2 batteries, depending on the switch setting I have.  It will not ever charge the house battery.  This is the one I am plugging in to keep charged.

I have found it isn't much issue to keep charged or charge before use, so my orig question is void. 

Back