Be careful in rough water !!!!

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
What a tragedy

Terrible. Respect the water.

Terrible tragedy.

I am trying to wrap my head around what it would take to capsize a pontoon. We had a bowrider in the past and I could understand how you could roll that.

We are always careful and generally stay off the water if there is much wind.

We had our first pontoon, a 20ft 2 tube on LOTO years ago. We went out to the main channel one night headed for dinner. Took a roller over the bow, things got wet, but I was never concerned about capsizing. 

I feel better about rough water with our tritoon, but will still be very careful.

Brian

I would think a pretty good wave and hitting it sideways could roll one pretty easily, especially if loaded to one side.

And an 18 footer would be all over the place in rough water. Crazy how one minute you're here having a good time on the boat with friends/ family then gone.

We were just boating down at that inlet at New Years. The inlet can be very dangerous depending on tide currents that flow through the inlet. I'm just wondering if the boaters were experienced or not. They rent pontoon boats in the area, but the inlet is usually not in the approved boating areas. It's tragic no matter what the reason. Experience is everything when it comes to boats, no matter the size or style. There's a web cam on the inlet if anyone is interested. Just Google Sebastian Inlet webcam.

Shame.....

I've been a fireman for 24 years, a fatality accident is always the worst! Prayers for the relatives of the deceased.

Back