Bennington 185 S

123Jackwagon

Reaction score
I've got a 2003 Bennington 185 S.  I use it for both fishing and pulling the kids on a "hotdog" style tube.  I am currently using the loops on the back of the pontoons.  I know this is not the prefered method, I just wasn't sure if they made or make a ski pylon for my model.  Can anyone help point me in the right direction?  I've got a Yamaha 50 HO and I am also wondering if a 60 HO would make a big difference?  The pontoon is rated for a 75, but people always say to stay with the HO.  Thanks for the help!! :D  

Welcome! I'm pretty sure there is no pylon option for your boat. In regards to the loops on the back, those are an acceptable anchoring point for tow lines. I'm not very confident a upgrade to 60hp would make a huge difference for your performance.

Welcome to the forum.  A 75 would make a little difference but not a 60 and they make harnesses for towing using the loops on the rear of the toons.

lakeliving and cwag911, thank you for the help on both items!  The dealer we have here says a 60 would push it a lot better and another dealer told me that a 70 would be better.  You can see my confusion here being a newbe.  I live in Minnesota and have been froze in place since early December and cant wait to get back on the water.  My family and I bought the pontoon 3 years ago and wanted to see how much we would use it compared to the 14' fishing boat we use to have.  Come to find out...it's barely on the trailer.  We live close to the St Louis river and use it to get to the Bay of Lake Superior.  On calm days we even head out on the big Lake.  Miles of beautiful shoreline to follow up the North Shore of Lake Superior.  I just looked at a 2013 20 SL with a 60, that might be a good option?  Still gives us the fishing option off the back and maybe they would have the ski pylon option for that model.  I love mine and hate to think about selling it...but it is tax refund season.  We dont tube on the big Lake(way too cold), more so when we go camping.  Thanks again for the help and advice!!

Remember, if you're buying new, get as much HP as the boat is rated for and that you can afford. Especially going out on that BIG lake.

having gone from a 40hp to 90hp the biggest difference is how much the boat slows done when loaded.  The top speed will change a little but nice improvement in loaded speed.

We have a 20 slx and we upgraded to a 90hp mercury 4 stroke with a 4 blade 13.8x13p quicksilver and it pulls right up to 6200 rpm.We had to relable the coast guard plackard to one less passenger due to original 50 hp set up.Weboat in salt water only and mostly intercoastal but sometimes in the gulf out to Egmont key island and put on about 5 or 6 hrs on the meter those days.The difference in price from the 50 hp to the 90 hp was $2500 and worth every penny....good luck

Shouldn't he actually be using the eye bolts that are on either side of the motor vs the ones on the tubes? Maybe there isn't any on that model of boat, but I'm pretty sure it definitely is NOT ok on newer boats to hook the harness to the rear toons.

I have 2013 20 slx with t50 I have a ski tow bar on it. Makes a lot of difference on it we use it for tubing and hydro sliding no problems. Ur bot gonna break any speed records I run about 16-17 mph with 2-3 in tube and several in board. With out ski tow bar rope would cause alot of drag in water and catch the wake since I installed it no problems. I just put a power tech prop on it wasn't getting WTO so they are sending me a different pitch can't wait to get it to go try it. Ps it makes an AWSOME fishing platform. I took a 2x6 attached 10 1 1/4 pipes To it and have sewer boot (to keep from scratching stainless) cut in half to take on and off

Back