Best Anchor For 3500 LB Pontoon On A Lake?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
Could use some advice on selecting a good anchor for use with a 3500 lb pontoon (loaded) on a muddy bottom lake that averages around 40-50 ft. deep? Also, how much anchor line should I get and what size should the line be? Is there any neat way to store anchor line?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Box Anchor made by Slide Anchor, size small. Expensive, but worth every penny. I have two smalls. Some people get a baby box to keep the stern from swaying and a small for the bow. The Box Anchor works on a 2:1 scope with no chain. I think it's all over the place, but I believe most anchors require more like a 4:1 scope or more (plus a lead chain!), so in deep water, it's particularly useful so you don't have to deal with ridiculous amounts of rope. I store my anchor line on an extension cord reel like this (cheaper at Home Depot). It fits 100' of 3/8" rope nicely. They're not the fastest thing to spool up, but I haven't found anything that works better. The next question is whether to get solid braid or stranded rope. I don't recall all the reasons, but I came to the conclusion that solid braid is better. I use this Attwood rope for my anchors. 

Reactions: ssc
What Nick said. For me, 1.5 to 1 works great.

Cheers, Steve

Box.  Nothing else comes close in comparison.

Box anchors work.  I have a small for the front and had a baby for the back.  It is on the bottom of the lake because I didn't zip tie the clevis that attached the rope.  On the video, I see a chrome version.  Do I need something shiny that is under a seat or underwater.  Why not!

Somebody was having trouble with the box holding and they talked to the manufacturer.  They were using the wrong style of rope and putting too much shock on the anchor.  It is on a thread or somebody will remember.  

Maybe it's just me but you can buy a anchor for a hell of a lot less than $150+ and still do the job just fine. It's a matter of knowing how to set you anchor and how much line to let out when setting it. As well as positioning your boat in the wind when setting.

Maybe it's just me but you can buy a anchor for a hell of a lot less than $150+ and still do the job just fine. It's a matter of knowing how to set you anchor and how much line to let out when setting it. As well as positioning your boat in the wind when setting.
I thought the same thing until I'd used both for a season. It's not a lack of knowledge on how to use a $40 anchor with a chain and a ton of rope, it's just a lack of willingness to deal with the hassle of it. 

Reactions: ssc
 On the video, I see a chrome version.  Do I need something shiny that is under a seat or underwater.  Why not!
That stainless steel version sure is pretty. I choked when I saw the price. But then I saw the price of a stainless steel Apple Watch. By that measure, that stainless steel box anchor should cost something like $500k! 

Maybe but I fish walleyes in huge wind with a $50 anchor In my other boat and have no issues holding or dislodging the anchor. Guess it's just people priorities, to each their own what the want to spend their money on.

Maybe but I fish walleyes in huge wind with a $50 anchor In my other boat and have no issues holding or dislodging the anchor. Guess it's just people priorities, to each their own what the want to spend their money on.
I couldn't agree with you more. It's just priorities. Most anchors will definitely work every bit as good, they just need a chain and a lot more rope to do the same job. Most are also bulkier since the box folds down flat. I didn't buy into the box at all at first, I thought all these guys were nuts. But man, once you go box, you'll never go back! To me it's like buying a Bennington over a discount pontoon brand. You pay more, but you get more from it.

IMG_8519.jpg

I couldn't agree with you more. It's just priorities. Most anchors will definitely work every bit as good, they just need a chain and a lot more rope to do the same job. Most are also bulkier since the box folds down flat. I didn't buy into the box at all at first, I thought all these guys were nuts. But man, once you go box, you'll never go back! To me it's like buying a Bennington over a discount pontoon brand. You pay more, but you get more from it.

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg
Awesome photo. Is your boat Champagne and Regatta Blue?

Awesome photo. Is your boat Champagne and Regatta Blue?
Yes it is. It wasn't my first color choice, but I've fallen in love with it. That shot was taken just this past weekend. Here's another...

IMG_3505.jpg

Yes it is. It wasn't my first color choice, but I've fallen in love with it. That shot was taken just this past weekend. Here's another...

IMG_3505.jpg
 I have a 2275 GCW being built next month with the same color combo as yours, I think it looks great too!

The biG advantage of the box anchor is when you are close to other boaters. A 1.5 ratio of rode let's you control your boat in a tight cove throw a baby off the stern and you bearly move. Rec boating is much different than fishing if you want to be around people

Back