Best Boat Wash?

Rick from Rocky Mount

Reaction score
What do you guys use to clean the exterior of your Benny? Talking about the panels and SS rub rails and chrome rails? Just mild dish soap and water? Or something like Starbrite citrus boat wash? What removes the water spots best? Power washer?

And what do you use to clean the pontoons? First Tritoon after 20 years with a fiberglass deckboat. Seems a lot easier with less elbow grease and waxing than with fiberglass :)

Need to keep the new boat looking good!!

I use a mix of water and vinegar takes water spots right off and wax once a year.

Last edited:
Don't use dish detergent. It will strip the wax completely off, and you will have to reapply. I just use a gentle car wash soap, and a sponge mop while it's on the trailer in my driveway. Sometimes, if time permits, I'll swing by the car wash on the way home from the lake and use one of the bays to give it a quick wash.

Meguiar's Boat Wash Gel #54. Have been using for years. Works for me.

Our Benny sits in the water all season so cleaning is a bit more difficult than with my old bowrider. Like others have said, we keep a spray bottle of vinegar & water for the water spots and wax it once a year. As far as the toons are concerned, I purchased two "carwash" mitts from West Marine and try once a week to wipe them down, top to bottom, while at the sandbar. At least on our lake, that keeps the growth off of them.

For quick wipe down after each use we use boat bling products. It's a vinegar based cleaner with a wax finish. Takes the water spots off and applies a light wax coating. After that I go back over it and use Quickie sauce. It's a spray on, wipe off wax for clear shine. For the Vinyl we use their vinyl sauce. Takes off most scuffs and spots with ease!

My first great find was the Boat scuff erasers. They clean 90% of my boat all by themselves. For the final 10% I found instant hull cleaner. I've tried the deck cleaner, simple green, etc. but nothing is easier or more effective than hull cleaner to get stains off my boat. That includes the rust from those stainless steel fittings that never rust. It includes the stains from cut bait and fish guts that my friends carelessly get from one end of the boat to the other.

Boat Bling products are amazing.

Water and vinegar as well.

Back