Best motor for a 2275GCW? Placing order today!

Which would you choose?

• Mercury Optimax 200hp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mercury optimax 225hp

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Mercury Verado 200hp

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Yamaha "high power" 200hp

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
Well, it isn't one of your choices but Suzuki makes the best engine out there and has the best setup for a pontoon with the 2.5:1 gear ratio. The next best is yamaha.

Of course this is only my opinion and not a popular one at that but I had to throw my two cents in. I have a Suzuki 175 and I love it. I wouldn't have any trouble owning a yamaha but I would not buy a verado. They are good engines but way too expensive to fix. If you aren't the type to keep something forever then longevity is less of a concern; me I want this boat to last 25 years.

I love the center storage, its a must for me. I love the raised helm. I like the look of the upgraded speakers better and they sound good but not sure what the base ones sound like.

Another point about the motor that I notice is often time when you step from 150/175 up to 200 you gain a lot of weight but not alot of power. If you jump up go to the 250; my opinion.

Good luck.

Good luck with the new ride. You are going to love it. That being said I'm not sure I would trust the guy who told you:

"there are known issues with cavitation using the SHO motors from Yamaha and really didnt want to sell me one?"

Not sure of his motivation but that statement doesn't make any sense and is not true.

cool, I think I have seen your boat before do you live almost across from the sandbar on the south side of the lake ?.... either way congrats and we are on the water 3-4 times per week we should tie up and hang out some time, usually we hang out past the sandbar and around the corner close to the ski area.. just look for 2 Benningtons it will be me and Tom

and BTW order your boat with the PWR-ARM top you will love it if you go under the bridges

Ron
Cool, yep sounds like that us from your description. I think it would be cool to tie up sometime, but probably wont be til mid September. Our current boat is scheduled to go to its new home Tuesday so we'll be boatless for a couple of weeks. :( But the wait will be worth it! Our new boat is now going to be solid yellow, you wont miss it. Definitely plan to meet up before the season ends.

Well, it isn't one of your choices but Suzuki makes the best engine out there and has the best setup for a pontoon with the 2.5:1 gear ratio. The next best is yamaha.

Of course this is only my opinion and not a popular one at that but I had to throw my two cents in. I have a Suzuki 175 and I love it. I wouldn't have any trouble owning a yamaha but I would not buy a verado. They are good engines but way too expensive to fix. If you aren't the type to keep something forever then longevity is less of a concern; me I want this boat to last 25 years.

I love the center storage, its a must for me. I love the raised helm. I like the look of the upgraded speakers better and they sound good but not sure what the base ones sound like.

Another point about the motor that I notice is often time when you step from 150/175 up to 200 you gain a lot of weight but not alot of power. If you jump up go to the 250; my opinion.

Good luck.
We ended up going with the 200hp Optimax. I have no issues with 2-strokes, it is less costly and less complex than the verado too. But Id imagine we'll have the boat probably 4 - 7 years so we wont see any of the issues of an "old boat / motor". Im not sure any of the dealers around here sell Suzuki motors. The 250hp wouldve been cool, but it was about another $2500.

Good luck with the new ride. You are going to love it. That being said I'm not sure I would trust the guy who told you:

"there are known issues with cavitation using the SHO motors from Yamaha and really didnt want to sell me one?"

Not sure of his motivation but that statement doesn't make any sense and is not true.
I believe Im going to have the opportunity to meet some of the "brass" at Bennington this weekend, if that comes to pass Im going to be sure to ask about the above statement from the salesman. Our boat hasnt started production yet so its not to late make last minute changes.

Back