Best surfaces to park trailer on to extend life of tires

brentah

Reaction score
So I trailer my pontoon on a dual axle and recently had to move from a graveled storage facility to one that is in a field/meadow among some sparsely scattered pine trees adjoining an RV campground.  The surface is some grass, pine needles and exposed dirt.

I know that moisture is an enemy to tires but any suggestions on what to park it on?  Based upon what research I have done so far, I think I am going to get 1 rubber stall mat from Tractor Supply, cut it in half and let the tires rest upon that.  I really don't have the liberty of laying down gravel, etc so my choices would be plywood, boards, blocks, plastic leveling blocks?, or the rubber mats that I have mentioned.

To take it one step further, I am thinking about getting tire covers but not sure it is worth it.  The tires do take a pounding from the Florida sun year around...seems like I see all of the RVers with them...that many RVers can't be wrong can they?

I don't know what's best, but I know this works. Picked up these 1' x 1' garden pavers (so 4 pavers under each wheel) at Lowes for around $4.50 each. Single axle trailer so I saved a few bucks there. Dug down four inches and packed in 2" of crushed road base, then laid the pavers on top with some sand to fill the gaps. Worked fine for the tires but the tongue wheel was too much weight on a small contact area and tipped the pavers out of level.. Pulled the gravel base out and replaced with a bag of ready-mix concrete. Set the pavers back down after 20 minutes or so and tapped into position with a mallet. Was easy and cheap, total time invested was only 2-3 hours.  Oh, and the sun shields for the tires were made out of scrap wood and extra material I had left over from the wave shield installation so no extra cost on those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maynard.....Thanks for the pictures...while I was looking through your other pictures, I saw something you did for your grill on your livewell.  Can you message me your setup and what you did...I am interested in something like what you have done.  Looks pretty cool.  Thanks.

I'm fortunate to have a large paved parking lot to keep my trailer on. 

And since I seldom use my trailer, I've even thought about putting it up on jack stands, removing the tires and putting inside storage out of the light and weather.  With a floor jack and a T handle lug wrench, removing tires is no big deal.   And the odds also improve that someone wouldn't steal a trailer if it didn't have tires and wheels.

I also use one of those pin locks to make sure no one drives away with it.  Picked it up cheap at Harbor Freight

I use 2X8 under both axles and got covers at Campers World I've been told not to leave the tires on the ground. Dampness, sun and other elements will help destroy the tires faster. You'll have plenty of tread but the tires will be rotten with out some protection. Replace in 5 years anyhow.

Yeah I would for sure use tire covers especially down south.  I have been lucky enough that I park my trailer tightly between my pole barn and a wooded lot so the entire trailer gets virtually no direct sunlight.  This year is going to be even better as my parents have moved 3 miles from my house and have a pole barn that I will be able to store it in during the summer.  The boat and trailer are stored in an indoor heated pole barn that never drops below 55 degrees.  I have to believe all of this is going to greatly prolong the life of the tires and the trailer itself.

I'm going to put mine in the hangar. Moved the dune buggy over there yesterday. Once the jet ski goes in I'll stack it on the Tritoon trailer and put them alway. Pwc trailer is aluminum so lifting it on and off won't be bad.

I'm going to put mine in the hangar. Moved the dune buggy over there yesterday. Once the jet ski goes in I'll stack it on the Tritoon trailer and put them alway. Pwc trailer is aluminum so lifting it on and off won't be bad.
Will you still have room for your plane when you get it ??

I'm a by land or by sea guy so I don't see me flying anytime soon! Plus metro Detroit airport seems to be a hub of suspicious activity with that underwear bomber a few years back. Makes you a little more cautious when it is close to home.

Back