Bilge Pump Location in 2022 SX22

rgardjr

Reaction score
We purchased a one year old SX22 this summer. Ran into a small problem this past weekend. We noticed the center ski locker had a substantial amount of water in it. I flipped the bilge pump switch and the switch light comes on, but a few seconds later the fuse tripped. I figured there might be something caught in the impellar so I went looking for the pump and was unable to find it. I emptied the contents ski locker and removed the two black plastic pieces at that create a false floor near the bottom of the locker, but I did not find the pump. I noticed that there are holes at the rear of the locker that allow water to flow in and out, but I could not find a way to access anything to the rear of the locker. There is a small hatch in the floor that provides access to the fuel tank. We have a fishing floor plan with a live well. There is access to additional fuel tank lines in the cabinet that holds the live well, but I did not see anything bilge related. Any ideas where the bilge pump is located and where the access is?

The pump is located in the rear, next to the fuel tank, one of the hatches should lead you to the pump.

2022-06-05 12.14.42 Bilge Pump.jpg

The pump is located in the rear, next to the fuel tank, one of the hatches should lead you to the pump.

View attachment 34769
Thanks for the help. I may have missed it because it's fairly tight back there with the live well. I really didn't look from that angle so I'll have to check it out. Just seemed like all I could see was the fuel tank when I popped that hatch.

My pump was bad on delivery, it kept popping the CB. Of course promptly replaced.

When I had a big wave come over the bow at Lake Powell, it put about 3" or 4" of water in the center toon storage. We hit the bilge pump switch and it pumped out all but about an inch of water at the rear of the storage compartment. It took a while, but was able to eventually dry out it out completely with towels.

There is also a bilge pump at the rear of the boat in the fuel tank section of that toon, like in Lawrence's photo above. I think the one switch activates both bilge pumps, but I'm not certain. But there are definitely two pumps.

Only one on 2022 Q25’s

One bilge pump on my 23 SSBXP. I'd actually be surprised if the factory installed two in some models but who knows. Some have added a second to get the last inch of water out as the standard Rule-brand float actuated pumps can only pump so low until the impeller loses prime.

Ideally evaporation takes care of any de minimis amounts of water but 1) not everyone has the slotted locker hatch allowing air to circulate and 2) a catch 22 of the slotted hatch is that it allows more water to easily come in.

If the bilge is tripping the breaker/fuse immediately then one of the wires might be shorted to ground. If it pumps for a while before tripping then it's probably damaged somehow causing it to run harder drawing more amps. I don't think it being clogged will necessarily do that as less work done by the pump actually draws less amps.

View attachment 34769

I had a chance to take a look this past weekend and, unfortunately for me, when I open the hatch the only thing that is visible is the top of the fuel tank. There is absolutely no access to anything other than the top of the fuel tank through the one hatch I have on my boat. I went back and emptied the ski locker of everything to make sure that I hadn't missed anything the first time, but there was no bilge pump in there either. I'm going to call the dealer that originally sold the boat to see if they can point me in the right direction.

There are two hatches on my floorplan - one to the sender of the fuel tank (with zero access to anything else around it) and one more aft about 1-2ft away that gives access to the bilge pump. If you don't have access to yours I'd ask the dealer to advise you how it can be serviced, and if a giant PITA also consider cutting in a panel for future maintenance.

Last edited:
There are two hatches on my floorplan - one to the sender of the fuel tank (woth zero access to anything else around it) and one more aft about 1-2ft away that gives access to the bilge pump. If you don't have access to yours I'd ask the dealer to advise you how it can be serviced, and if a giant PITA also consider cutting in a panel for future maintenance.
This makes some sense. I have a fishing floor plan and there's a live well cabinet aft of the hatch I was talking about. I bet I can get access to the bilge pump through that cabinet.

I wanted to follow up just in case this will help someone out in the future. The livewell cabinet did need to come out to access the bilge pump. Here's the procedure:
Remove the screw that hold the port side of the back black plastic cover that the gas cap attaches to. You will probably need to remove a few screws from the floor on that side too.
From inside the livewell unscrew the plastic nut that holds the plastic fill fitting to the side of livewell's sink.
Pull the fill fitting through so it's no longer attached to sink portion of livewell.
Unscrew the screws that go through the livewell counter top into the sides of the cabinet.
The counter top and sink should now be able to be removed and set aside.
Remove that screws that hold the sides of the cabinet to the floor.
The two that are closet to the stern, on either side of the motor, are through bolted. The rest just lag into the floor.
Remove the livewell cabinet sides.
The pump is mount to an aluminum bracket that has a single bolt holding it on to the gas tank.
Remove the bilge pump's discharge hose from the fitting that mounts to the aluminum wall.
Remove the fuel tank vent hose.
You should now be able to remove bracket/pump to investigate why it's not working.
Our pump was toast. The boat is two years old. We are the second owners and bought it with 15 hours on it.

Back