Bimini Rail Weight Rating - Baby Swing

bnorman

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of the weight rating on the standard Bimini rails? Wife wants to get one of those baby swings but I only see pictures of them hanging from center console t-tops.

Contact Bennington, I don't have access to their number right now . You can search for it in the upper right corner. I'll post it here tomorrow.

I'm going to bet they will NOT want to touch this with a 10-foot pole. Or they will just flat out say they don't advise it. The world is extremely litigious already, then you mix in the health and well-being on an infant??

That said, I would HIGHLY advise to look at how different loads act on the bimini arms and brackets. Several of us including yours truly have found the bimini can pop out of the bracket under certain conditions, so a baby swinging might be able to simulate that. Give it some hard pushes and pulls, maybe hang the swing and put a 20lb weight in and test vigorously. Might be fine but you don't want to find out the hard way.

Under no circumstances would I use the bimini to hang anything like that. Just me personally. I’m fairly risk adverse in these sorts of situations. FWIW, I just think that the potential of a mishap is not worth the risk at all.

I think Bennington (or any other manufacturer) is going to say we don’t recommend any divergence from using those support arms for anything other than their intended purpose.

But like others, I‘d be curious what they say when you reach out.

As expected, they don’t have a published weight load and don’t recommend anything other than the canvas be supported. (Being an insurance broker I would advise them to tell customers exactly that). I’m probably just going to avoid it and not play with fire, my concern would be just slight bends that would keep it from folding down properly.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Back