Bimini Top blew off in wind and sinks

Hey TB, I have a 2007 boat made in June2006 and still have the original bimini fittings. Can I get new ones? :unsure:

Hey TB, I have a 2007 boat made in June2006 and still have the original bimini fittings. Can I get new ones? :unsure:
I suggest you call customer service and mention the word Recall. They will transfer you to the Bennington Recall Manager, and she will work with you directly. You will need your hull id #.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim.

Im not sure if our boat is a 06 or its a 07. But we had a very similiar thing happen to us. The forward bimini leg came off while under way and it caused the bimini to bend back and Kink the "Main Bimini Support Frame"

Here is a Link to the orignal thread.

The dealer said it was not coverd under warranty. I had a local weld shop cut out the kinked part and weld in a new section with insert.

What I did to make sure it didn't happen again was turn the Black plastic quick release around. This way the pull or pressure is helping hold the quick release in its place.

I see on our 2012 2275 QCW it now has a Pin that holds the quick release in place so it cant pop out its a great quick easy fix

Im not sure if our boat is a 06 or its a 07. But we had a very similiar thing happen to us. The forward bimini leg came off while under way and it caused the bimini to bend back and Kink the "Main Bimini Support Frame"

The dealer said it was not coverd under warranty. I had a local weld shop cut out the kinked part and weld in a new section with insert.

What I did to make sure it didn't happen again was turn the Black plastic quick release around. This way the pull or pressure is helping hold the quick release in its place.

I see on our 2012 2275 QCW it now has a Pin that holds the quick release in place so it cant pop out its a great quick easy fix
Apparently yours should have been part of the recall.

Hmmm, wonder how come your 2012 has a pin and my 2012 2275RCW just has the regular ones? Can't see that as being a Q upgrade would it?

Derrick

Just to clear things up. Our Q only has the Pin on the Front

Leg supports of the Front Bimini. And No

I don't think it's a upgrade. It would be very easy to do yourself. TB talks about the Pin and retainer cable(ment to hold on to the pin) in the thread I posted a link to. It sounded like they were going to be doing this to the newer models

biminiretainer.jpg

Last edited:
This was TB's reply

Your description of events is directed at the forward frame of a double bimini, right? We have changed this application for 2012 by adding a detention pin w/lanyard to secure the strut latch w/o having to turn the frame around. TB
So it sounds like the Pin and Retainer is a 2012 addition, And Im not sure if they do it on the rear Bimini. My Q only has it on the front

Glad to hear that Bennington is taking care of the issue... funny you mentioned this about your bimini top because my son has a 2006 model 2275, and the day that he picked it up from the dealership, he was driving along the interstate and the bimini top ( frame and all ) came flying off and was crushed by an 18 wheeler behind him. No, he did not have the top up and open.... He told me when he went back to the dealership they gave him some static about it, saying he must have done something wrong... but in the end they replaced the entire bimini....

Roland

Glad to hear that Bennington is taking care of the issue... funny you mentioned this about your bimini top because my son has a 2006 model 2275, and the day that he picked it up from the dealership, he was driving along the interstate and the bimini top ( frame and all ) came flying off and was crushed by an 18 wheeler behind him. No, he did not have the top up and open.... He told me when he went back to the dealership they gave him some static about it, saying he must have done something wrong... but in the end they replaced the entire bimini....

Roland
Wow, that is chilling. Glad noone was injured.

This was TB's reply

So it sounds like the Pin and Retainer is a 2012 addition, And Im not sure if they do it on the rear Bimini. My Q only has it on the front
Looks to me like the Pin and Retainer was used in the front because the furniture would interfere with a nut and bolt. I do not believe that the pin provides any additional structural support or additional security when used with the black plastic quick release clips. One word of caution, the plastic quick release clips are made of plastic. Over time stresses from loads that they were not designed for (e.g. trailering at high speeds, excessive speed at WOT, striking an obstruction with the bimini, or high wind conditions) may warp and bend the plastic. These clips should be inspected periodically and replaced if bending or any other deformities are observed.

Here's an example of one such clip that was subjected to traumatic events:

2012-09-13_08-34-01_662.jpg

2012-09-13_08-33-45_839.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My black plastic quick release clips did not fail or break they simply became de-tatched. So one could say the clip or Bimini did not break or fail. :p I think that's what the dealer told me when they said it was NOT coverd. They wanted $400 for new main bimini hoop. I just chose to do a quick fix on it, But I may ask them about it again.

We were transporting our 2007 Bennington 2250 from one lake to another with our other car traveling behind and the bimini top blew off and almost went thru our car windshield. We were only going about 20 miles an hour so the damages were minimal to the top (as far as we could see). I called the local dealer who indicated there was a recall for the attachment of the main support and they would be able to submit under the recall. I arrived at the dealer who told me that the boat was out of warranty. I'm confused, above it appears that was there a recall. If so recalls are typically handled independently of warranties. Regardless, they gave me the connections to attach the frame properly to the boat and charged me for the two small legs and light ($140.00) not including the boot (don't know how much that's going to be). I'm also assuming that this is all that was damaged. What are the prospects of getting some help with a replacement like BlueCreek received? :)

So sorry to hear about your experience. Its a frightening and dangerous flaw in construction. Bennington should not charge you for any parts and should be thankful it wasnt worse. Keep us posted on your status.

GREAT news! Bennington is going to warranty the top!
smile.gif

There are still good companies out there !!
Thats good news.... glad to hear it.... I know that when my son bought his bennington, the day he picked it up from the dealership he was towing it home and somehow the bimini frame and all blew off the boat and was run over by an 18 wheeler... that goodness no one was hurt but my son was sure angry.... went straight back to the dealership and without any argument ordered him a new set up..... bennington covered everything.

Back