Black grease/residue from cup holders

putz21

Reaction score
Last year when my 2011 2275 RCW LTD arrived I took her on her maiden voyage. Shortly after returning in, I noticed black rubber/grease marks all over my seats. I couldn't figure out where these marks were coming from for the life of me. After a lot of cleaning, I got most of it removed, but still some marks in my new seats. This occurred every time I went out. I finally saw my kids stick their hands inside the cupholders because they liked playing with the rubber grips in them. Low and behold, their hands were covered in black grease. Everytime they put their hands on the seats, they left these marks all over and it does not come out easy. Has anybody else experience this from their cupholders? Wondering if I can use some type of product to clean the cupholders to eliminate this problem. Any advise would be great.

Do you have the LED lit cupholders? I have seen this before but only on the LED ones. Your selling dealer should be able to take care of this for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the exact same problem with my 2011 2575 RCW (and yes, I have the LED lighting). Noticed it on my maiden voyage. My kids too, would put their hands in there to play. Also noticed our drink bottles were covered in black grease. No amount of cleaning will solve the problem. Simple solution.........those black liners pop right out and you are left with chrome drink holders. They work just as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the LED lit cupholders? I have seen this before but only on the LED ones. Your selling dealer should be able to take care of this for you.
Yes, I do have the LED lit cupholders. Looks like those rubber linings will be coming out this weekend! I tried and tried cleaning them and the black just kept on coming.

Last year when my 2011 2275 RCW LTD arrived I took her on her maiden voyage. Shortly after returning in, I noticed black rubber/grease marks all over my seats. I couldn't figure out where these marks were coming from for the life of me. After a lot of cleaning, I got most of it removed, but still some marks in my new seats. This occurred every time I went out. I finally saw my kids stick their hands inside the cupholders because they liked playing with the rubber grips in them. Low and behold, their hands were covered in black grease. Everytime they put their hands on the seats, they left these marks all over and it does not come out easy. Has anybody else experience this from their cupholders? Wondering if I can use some type of product to clean the cupholders to eliminate this problem. Any advise would be great.
Hello everyone...we are sorry to report that the black inserts in the LED cupholders do not hold up to UV rays as pitched to us by the supplier. :angry: They actually melt, it seems. We have since begun removing them from the cupholders themselves before the boats leave the factory. For folks with the inserts, Please remove them...the cupholders work just as well without them. The streaks take elbow grease to remove. If you have a super big mess, please contact your dealer so we can help you out. Thank you, TB

Back