Black Marks on Seats

Cwszolek

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a two month old Bennington 2275GL. It has a black cover over the ivory seats. In three areas were the seams are on the cover I have black stain on my seats. I have tried Starbrite Mildew Remover, Simple Green and a mild dish washing soap. (Obviously not all at the same time.) Nothing has worked. The dealer said try the Starbrite. Needless to say I am not real thrilled at this point and was wondering if anyone had suggestions before I head back to the dealer......

Welcome and congrats on the new boat!

There was some defective material at one point. See thread HERE

I'd contact my dealer asap and explain the situation. I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out with Bennington as needed.

Try a magic eraser but rinse the area well afterwards and use 303 protectant.

If it doesn't come off ,contact your dealer .Bennington is aware of the issue .

L. A.'s Totally awesome cleaner...............at the Dollar store. Great stuff!

Simple Green is one of the worst things you can use. If you don't completely rince and remove the simple green it can cause a chemical reaction with the sun and cause a chemical burn.

Starbright is like rubbing compound for your vinyl.

I can under stand if you had vinyl that was 20 years old and was pretty beat down and it was either use a heavy cleaner or deal with the stain but on new vinyl That's another product I would stay away from.

The stains that the cover can leave in the vinyl can be removed with Totally Awesome and a soft brush. Then rince and neutralize the totally awesome with some soap and water and you should be good to go follow up with 303 and see how it go's the sun has also been a great stain remover for some black marks. See if a combo of all 3 helps

Simple Green ruined our vinyl. It took the top coat off the vinyl and we have been dealing with stains continuously.

My dealer told me to use Mean Green on my seats.

I usually use Zep Orange degreaser when cleaning--best stuff I've ever seen. It actually gets oil base paint off my hands--better than orange hand cleaner.

I have been using Awesome, available at Dollar General, on my aluminum RV to get rid of black streaks. Unfortunately, it also takes a little paint off, and my camper now needs repainted. But it's great stuff.

What I'd like is for Bennington to find a source for an OEM vinyl stain custom packed in aerosol cans so we can refinish our seats if absolutely needed. Those spider droppings are still wearing my Ivory seats out--slight stains. I'll be fabricating seat covers next week.

My boat is 1 year old, and almost immediately, noticed black mildew like stains all over. I should not have to clean seats every time I take it out! After following the recommended dish soap and occasionally 303, I now can't get it completely clean! So frustrated after one year. And to think we got the upgraded fabric! Love the look of Bennington, but doubtful I would purchase again. We were Nautique ownwes before, and never had theses problems.

Contact your dealer Jill, they'll be able to help you out. Maybe there was a bad batch of vinyl?

Sorry to hear that Jill, but why not tell us a little more about your stains/mildew problem.

There are lots of good folks here who may be able to help sort this out for you. Lets start with how your boat is stored, mooring cover on or off? Under a lift or shed? Is it put up wet?

There has been a few members who get insect or spider droppings that are tough to remove, and a majic eraser and some awsome cleaner has worked well for them.

There has also been some issues with the mooring cover bleeding onto the vinyl.

And as Carl said, talk to your dealer about it, after all, you do have the best warranty in the industry.

Lets see if we can get you staightend out here before you just throw in the towel!  :D

where do you find the 303 products ?

We pick ours up at our dealer.

Amazon has it as well.

sounds good to me !

303 is awesome! I love the feel of the vinyl after a fresh application

Awesome can be used 100% on seats.  It doesn't hurt anything. 

I was cleaning seats a couple of weeks ago, and the Magic Eraser would clean spots that Awesome wouldn't budge.

Back