black streaks on the pontoons

dsprague

Reaction score
My new Bennington has been out on the water for only 3 outings and I am already seeing lots of black streaks on the aluminum pontoons (not on the side walls) I have looked on this site and I haven't seen anybody talking about this. Any idea what is the best way to remove these black streaks?

Elbow grease and Sharkhide. How dark are they? Is your water really dirty? Our lake waters pretty clean, but the river waters very dirty. Might just be dirt lines from water running down sides. Can you get some pics?

I thought the lake was fairly clean.... and the streaks, well I guess they are dark enough for me to start wondering about them. I figured if it was dirty lines I would have been able to wash them off. Hate to sound like a real newbie but what is sharkhide?? I will try to post a picture, thanks for the reply

I recall a lot of posts maybe a year ago or more about the black streaks you are talking about. Just letting you know the info is here. Somewhere. If you want to dig.

I think the black streaks we were talking about not so long ago was the streaks several members and I had running down the side panels from the acid rain and dirt coming off of the play pen cover when it rained. I don' recall any streaks on the tubes itself. I may be wrong............I have had black marks or I guess streaks in the past but didn't have any problem taking them off.......I used Simple Green. I think it was oil in the water and it got on my tubes........

Are the stripes vertical or horizontal? Vertical would be stuff running down the toons from above, horizontal would be dirty water.

Either way, you need to get them cleaned up and sealed with sharkhyde, the unprotected aluminum will just continue to get dirty.

I think the black streaks we were talking about not so long ago was the streaks several members and I had running down the side panels from the acid rain and dirt coming off of the play pen cover when it rained. I don' recall any streaks on the tubes itself. I may be wrong............I have had black marks or I guess streaks in the past but didn't have any problem taking them off.......I used Simple Green. I think it was oil in the water and it got on my tubes........
Yep. That's right. I remember now. I remember being glad I had a black boat!

Are they on both sides of the toons? Possibly caused by rubbing against a dock or bunk on the trailer?

Back