Boat cover question

I think Semper is right, and you may be able to get by just by adding an adjuster buckle. It might have simply come off and got lost somewhere. That short strap in your pic had me thrown off the track. I have no clue where the short strap in the pic came from. I assumed from the photo they were not sewn onto your cover (I didn't reread your first post), as that short strap looks like what is sewn into my cover.

If you get this figured out, great! If not, post a pic of your cover and its buckles so we can see it and we'll try to help if we can.

I got the SAME strap today and thought the same thing....'what the heck is missing?' If this is all there is to be then you buckle that together and that box stitch end gets sewn to one side of the cover and then you throw the strap over the bimini cover and then the other end of the strap gets sewn to the other side of the cover to pull up on the cover to keep water pooling. HOWEVER, what SHOULD come with this strap is one end that has an ADJUSTABLE end to it to tighten/loosen the whole thing.

Also, I do not have anything already sewn to my boat cover as it is a 2005 and Bennington didn't start using this strap system until 2009/2010 per Bennington.

You should be able to have local uphstery shop sew them on, just make sure they use a heavy duty "backer" with it. Also, I pull mine up with "some" tension, don't pull them so tight that its straining the connections. Just enough the get the corners lifted.

I recommend going over Bimini with the strap, don't use the stern light pole as the guide. It can start fraying the strap, and possibly damage the pole/mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I got an email back from Mandy @ Bennington today and she says those of us who received the strap did indeed get everything needed. Here is what she said:

Your boat did not have this since the straps were designed in 08-09. It will

have to be sewn on in order to work properly. You have all the pieces needed for

it to work.

I took two pics of a boat on the line showing where the pieces need to be

installed. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Thank you,

Mandy Hall

Warranty Administrator

Bennington

gallery_300_298_67722.png

gallery_300_298_105844.png

I got an email back from Mandy @ Bennington today and she says those of us who received the strap did indeed get everything needed. Here is what she said:

Your boat did not have this since the straps were designed in 08-09. It will

have to be sewn on in order to work properly. You have all the pieces needed for

it to work.

I took two pics of a boat on the line showing where the pieces need to be

installed. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Thank you,

Mandy Hall

Warranty Administrator

Bennington

gallery_300_298_67722.png

gallery_300_298_105844.png
LOL, got the same email with the same pictures!! Mandy is awesome.

I wont be at my boat for a few weeks, but my cover does have straps sewn on to it, just not sure if they are male/female.

Will post back once i have it installed..

thanks,

Alex...

With all due respect to Mandy, how would you adjust the tension with what you received.

There needs to be an adjuster buckle ....... and if your cover had no straps, even if you sewed the one end of the long one on, you still could not adjust tension.

With all due respect to Mandy, how would you adjust the tension with what you received.

There needs to be an adjuster buckle ....... and if your cover had no straps, even if you sewed the one end of the long one on, you still could not adjust tension.
Exactly the arguement I made. I happen to have a really good canvas company close by that makes custom boat covers and also does repairs/modifications so I will just take it there after marking about where I want it sewn and I'm sure they'll figure out the rest.

They probably have the buckles on hand .............

Back