Boat Fender Advice for fellow new boaters

Dev75

Reaction score
NYS Finger Lakes Region - Skaneateles Lake
Thought I would share an experience for my fellow new boaters out there about having enough fenders on board.  We recently rented a lake cottage on a nearby lake to the one we are docked at.  We boated through the Erie Canal to get to the other lake and our cottage.  When we rented the cottage, the rental agency told us that the cottage had a very large dock and was more than capable of handling our boat.  So, I figured great...we are good to go. What I failed to ask or research were the wind conditions on this lake.   We dock up the first night no problems and the water was gorgeous.  Few days later we noticed a south wind that eventually made the lake look like it was an ocean inlet.  Since our boat was docked perpendicular to the water the waves really caused some problems (configuration of the dock did not allow for tying up on sides).   The boat was rocking to the degree that I thought the side rails were going to plummet under the dock and get caught up.  

My solution was strategically attaching 3 smaller fenders to the dock and 2 large fenders to the boat and thankfully, this prevented any problems.  We had no idea the south wind waves got this bad on this lake and without the fenders, I'm pretty sure the side walls would have been shredded on this dock.  I chalked this up to one of those things that you just learn through experience.   I think I may even add a 3rd large fender to my supply.  

All in all the trip was fantastic - just wanted to share this as it's something I had not thought of as a new boater and I really thought I had researched it all.....

Link below to some photo's below.  Photo's of dock are during the calm periods.  I was too busy worrying about the boat during the heavy south winds.  

Photo's of boat dock/canal system and sunset cruise

On a side note, the canal we traveled through is a portion of the Erie Canal in NYS that connects Cayuga Lake to Seneca Lake (NYS Fingerlakes Region).  As a new boater it is amazing to experience the different perceptions of cities, towns and villages from the water.   

Wow, that docks a good candidate for whips!! I'd have been concerned too!! I'm on an end dock and we get wake on the lake, but our docks somewhat level to our deck, and my fenders are spaced halfway between.

If I were you, I'd be buying some tugboat fenders !!!!!

Or a couple of these.

Inflatable_Thwart_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm liking that fender!  They aren't cheap but well worth the investment when you need them.  

I have 6 of the large fenders and use them for rafting up with friends

Lol, Link, you have no idea what you just did for me.  I told my wife I would feel complete with three big fenders on each side when we need them and she dismissed me like I was nuts.  I just showed her your post! :lol:

Same here..........We have 6 fenders, 3 on each side when it's in the slip. We also have 3 other fenders stowed away in case they are needed. Don't really like rafting up unless we are in a No Wake zone cove.......

I only have two that I use when pulling the boat at the ramp to keep it off the dock. I don't raft up and the boat stays in a lift so I don't have a need for a lot of them.

Back