Boat Fenders - what size?

Frostecat

Reaction score
Just bought a 2002 20" Bennington 205l.  Not new to boating, but new to pontoons.  I'm looking at the Polyform fenders and am tossed between the G-4 or G-5 size.  The boat will be used mostly on a small inland lake, however, we do plan on trailering it to big water, including Lake Erie.  

Do you think I should go for the 6.5" size or the 8.8"?  Do you think 3 fenders will be sufficient?

I have 4, 8" x 26". I keep them in the front two loungers along with the dock lines. There is enough room to put other small items for storage if necessary, it all depends on what you intend to do.

Anyone know what size come with the USCG Kit that Bennington gives out?

Frostecat - my dealer recommends 4 total. He says leave two at the dock and take two with you in case you're docking somewhere else. I'm not sure what size (he's giving us the kit) yet, but I'm worried about the panels denting if I don't have enough. The converse to that is where do you put them all?

You don't want them on the panels.

USCG Kit that Bennington gives out??  Really... my dealer mentioned I get 4 basic orange life vests,  dock line,  throw cushion, fire extinguisher but nothing about a USCG kit although I didn't ask.  Is this a standard package? What's is in it? Fenders? Sizes and colors of everything?? I want details.... Guess I'm going to have to email them and get more details. Anyone have more info on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the same thing - I get 4 basic vests, lines, anchor and fenders - he called it the USCG Kit.

I didn't know about an anchor? What kind? Fenders? Lines? What color, sizes?  The reason I'm asking is because I'm in the middle of buying all the stuff I think I'll need so I need details on what I'm getting.  It's my fault for not asking for details... I'll call Monday for more info.

I'm curious as to why everyone buys all this stuff they "think" they need, instead of waiting to buy what they "really" need. Then you wouldn't end up with stuff you don't need.  Just my $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I bought a box anchor (don't think it comes with that),, I bought good life vests, 303 protectant, floating cooler and some engine maintenance items i.e tilt and drain so I didn't buy anything I "think" I'll need just what I will need.  I want to go out on day one prepared hence doing my research and asking questions... it was on my list to get more details on what gets thrown in by the dealer but then I read about a  "USCG kit" .....hence more questions.....

When we bought our boat in 2006, we got the captains package (same thing). It consisted of 4 fenders, which we still use, 4 orange lifejackets which are on the boat with more we bought at yard sales and 4 mooring lines which are now spares. I wasn't trying to be an a$$, it's just from being on this forum for quite a while and reading all the posts, there is a lot of stuff that people buy and it gets burried in the boat or it's in their garage or shed and never used.

cwag, I get what you're saying, and I think for us new owners it's two fold - just speaking for myself though - 

1. It's the new shiny ball/house/boat/car/toy what have you and I want to get all the accessories.

2. Up here in CT we have a very short season - I'm gonna push it this year and get out there May 1 and run it until mid Oct, but usually we have June-early Sept so the more time on the water and less time shopping the better 

I feel as being a new boat owner myself, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I'm sure I'll filter a few things out as I go.

cwag911, 

For me as a new never had a boat before person it's excitement pure and simple....  as far as being an a$$.    I don't know you well enough yet to mess around but if you were my best/good friend I'd have fun with that statement.   :)    I understand where the statement came from as I did say "I think I need".   It's all good... we're all here to help each other learn by sharing ideas & knowledge.  Nothing like learning from someone who's been there done that. When I have questions/problems in the future this will probably be the first place I'll come for ideas.

Bennington is not giving you anything ,all the rest  is the dealer as far as the USCG 

Back