Boat lift question

Dev75

Reaction score
NYS Finger Lakes Region - Skaneateles Lake
Good morning guys,  we just got our boat in the water at a new marina on a different lake.  Weather hasn't been so good so we haven't yet been out but the marina gave us a cantilever lift that lifts under the pontoon deck.  It will be nice to have the toons out of the water while not in use but I'm wondering if the metal rails on the lift have the potential to cause any damage?  I'm thinking of coming into the lift and the rails possibly hitting the side of one of the toons as we are pulling onto the lift.  Anybody have any experience with these lifts?  Any advice or general information on do's and don'ts?  I'm considering asking the marina if I could put carpet or something over the ends of the rails.  

We had a deck lift cantilever lift for years on our 2 toon boats, never had an issue. I always cranked it almost all the way down to the water level, just enough so I could see the supports, then took it nice and easy pulling in.

Thanks Tom - I might have been over thinking the issue.  

A couple other tidbits I just remembered. The Lakeshore lift we had used aluminum supports where the leading edge had a very small poly roller on it, maybe 2-3 inches, situated horizontally.

Lakeshore cantilever pontoon lift

The other type is where the supports are just wood 2x material set vertically. The wood is soft enough to "give" a bit to the aluminum at low speed and not scratch things up. Either way works fine as I don't remember ever hitting mine at all.

I have a vertical lift with rails that pick from under the deck. I did add some carpet at the ends to minimize scratching, but sometimes hitting the rails happens. I am on the same lake, east side, and yes, the weather has been lousy for boating.

I have a vertical lift with rails that pick from under the deck. I did add some carpet at the ends to minimize scratching, but sometimes hitting the rails happens. I am on the same lake, east side, and yes, the weather has been lousy for boating.

Great to meet someone in the area!  Hopefully will see you out on the lake soon if the weather decides to turn. 

Back