Boat lift versus rail system

ygkwcc

Reaction score
Hello, we just purchased a Bennington Tritoon. We were thinking of purchasing a Naylor rail system versus a lift. Does anyone have advice and/or pics on this topic? We thought a rail system might work better as our property can get 50-80km winds. Thanks

Hi. I just upgraded to a Tritoon,I have a Shorestation lift they also make a Toon Rail System. My Dealer recommended the Toon Rail System for my lift. I then contacted Shorestation themselves and they highly also recommended the Toon Rail. I'm in about 3' to 4' of water with winds out of the west, they tell me easier to control while entering the lift.

I looked at Naylor's website, and I have never seen a pontoon on a rail system on the lake we are at. One thing to consider is a canopy. From Naylors website, it does not appear that a canopy is available with the rail system. Having a canopy is very convenient-if you don't feel the need to also cover your boat when under a canopy, it is very simple and fast to get out on the water. We have our tri-toon on a Hewitt vertical lift with a canopy. We also get high winds at times, and it has not damaged our lift or boat.

I also looked at the Naylor web site and could not find what ygkwcc was talking about. Is it like a train track rail system ? Maybe I misunderstood the Naylor System. I thought you added it to your lift .Sorry !

Thanks all for comments. We have talked to Naylor and also Dock in a Box and they are going to come and give us quotes. I have also found a used rail system in really good shape, previously used for a pontoon boat. It would cost about $2000. to upgrade for the Tritoon which is an option. I just not sure of the pros and cons of rail v lift

I have a somewhat traditional lift and canopy set up (NuCraft tritoon lift and canopy, with cradles for each of the three toons). I do not have experience with a rail system, or know anyone with one. My initial thoughts reading through this thread, and reading up on the rail link above:

1) It seems like a very workable system. In the link above, there were 4 side posts on the rail system where the boats were docked in the pictures. I don’t see where that is significantly different than docking within the side posts on a lift other than perhaps the idea of the rails “guiding” you on as you approach them...? Now if they work as a nice guide, I could see that making the initial docking a bit easier, but in high winds, you’d still have to line up with them (if I am interpreting the rail system pictures correctly).

2) It does seem like you give up having a canopy with the rail system. Do they have a canopy option of some sort? Since both get you out of the water (lift and rails), they’d both be viable for doing that main task. Thus, price and canopy would be my next two factors.

3) For me, no canopy option would be a deal breaker. If I am going through the expense and trouble of getting my pontoon out of the water (lift or rail), I want it under a canopy for the ease, convenience, and protection that one provides. Being out of the water provides great protection for our boat dockside on our windy and at times very rough and large inland lake. However, the canopy is a huge convenience for us (shade, protection from environment loading and unloading), as well as physical boat protection (sun, rain, bird poop, etc...). I didn’t realize what a big deal the canopy would be until having one.

4) I think either option in high winds is going to be okay. If your boat is on a lift with a canopy, you are fine in high winds. Seems the only concern is if the boat is OFF a lift that has a canopy, and high winds blow in. In that sitaution, then the canopy could provide upward lift to move and flip the lift - but only when the boat is off it. Otherwise the boat’s too heavy and will weigh it all down. Thus, I think the only wind related concern is really canopy related vs. lift related.

I am looking forward to learning more about the rail system you are looking into. Good luck as you research and explore the two options. I’ll be following along with any posts that you make about it. Happy Boating!

I have a somewhat traditional lift and canopy set up (NuCraft tritoon lift and canopy, with cradles for each of the three toons). I do not have experience with a rail system, or know anyone with one. My initial thoughts reading through this thread, and reading up on the rail link above:

1) It seems like a very workable system. In the link above, there were 4 side posts on the rail system where the boats were docked in the pictures. I don’t see where that is significantly different than docking within the side posts on a lift other than perhaps the idea of the rails “guiding” you on as you approach them...? Now if they work as a nice guide, I could see that making the initial docking a bit easier, but in high winds, you’d still have to line up with them (if I am interpreting the rail system pictures correctly).

2) It does seem like you give up having a canopy with the rail system. Do they have a canopy option of some sort? Since both get you out of the water (lift and rails), they’d both be viable for doing that main task. Thus, price and canopy would be my next two factors.

3) For me, no canopy option would be a deal breaker. If I am going through the expense and trouble of getting my pontoon out of the water (lift or rail), I want it under a canopy for the ease, convenience, and protection that one provides. Being out of the water provides great protection for our boat dockside on our windy and at times very rough and large inland lake. However, the canopy is a huge convenience for us (shade, protection from environment loading and unloading), as well as physical boat protection (sun, rain, bird poop, etc...). I didn’t realize what a big deal the canopy would be until having one.

4) I think either option in high winds is going to be okay. If your boat is on a lift with a canopy, you are fine in high winds. Seems the only concern is if the boat is OFF a lift that has a canopy, and high winds blow in. In that sitaution, then the canopy could provide upward lift to move and flip the lift - but only when the boat is off it. Otherwise the boat’s too heavy and will weigh it all down. Thus, I think the only wind related concern is really canopy related vs. lift related.

I am looking forward to learning more about the rail system you are looking into. Good luck as you research and explore the two options. I’ll be following along with any posts that you make about it. Happy Boating!
Hi Lake living,
I forgot about this web forum after buying our Bennington. We did buy a rail system and love it! We originally purchased 60' of rail but ended up buying another 40' due to water level fluctuating. Our shore has a very gradual slope also they play with the water levels on Lake Ontario and in the fall we have had problems getting the boat off the lift. During the course of the summer our neighbours are constantly having to move their boat lifts and docks to adjust which is a huge pain. As far as the canopy, yes you can set one up but for where we live I would be worried about it blowing off or damaging the boat due the winds can get up to 100KPH. You are correct that there is no difference in docking between lift and rail. With the extra lengths of rail we can winterize and wrap our boat right on the shore instead of pulling it out and storing on a trailer. All in all for our situation the rail is the better option.
Looking forward to starting the new boating season.

Stay safe.

Hi Lake living,
I forgot about this web forum after buying our Bennington. We did buy a rail system and love it! We originally purchased 60' of rail but ended up buying another 40' due to water level fluctuating. Our shore has a very gradual slope also they play with the water levels on Lake Ontario and in the fall we have had problems getting the boat off the lift. During the course of the summer our neighbours are constantly having to move their boat lifts and docks to adjust which is a huge pain. As far as the canopy, yes you can set one up but for where we live I would be worried about it blowing off or damaging the boat due the winds can get up to 100KPH. You are correct that there is no difference in docking between lift and rail. With the extra lengths of rail we can winterize and wrap our boat right on the shore instead of pulling it out and storing on a trailer. All in all for our situation the rail is the better option.
Looking forward to starting the new boating season.

Stay safe.
Glad it worked out so well for you. The funny thing is the year after my post you replied to above I switched over to Sea Legs. I do miss my canopy, but otherwise love the change over. Nice to hear what you went with has been working great for you as well. Happy boating!

Back