boat lift vs parking at the dock....

job511

Reaction score
New to boating....

Do I have to have a boat lift for pontoon boat? or can it be tied to a dock?

Scenario....

Lake is about 14km by 1km connecting to 3 other similar size lake......not sure if wave would be an issue here.

Boating here in Ontario is about 5 month...mid may to early October, not full year in water.....

Using neighbour's shoreline (such a nice guy! and got me thinking about boating) thus would like not to invest too much into shoreline equipment as its not my property.  Would be different if its my own. 

Just got the quote today for electric vertical lift plus boardwalk to the lift.....Yikes!

Would manual vertical lift heavy to operate??

thanks for your input!

we are newbees last year and purchased a lift for our Benny our boating season is about 6 months and we are on a small lake. However we do get wakes from other watercraft that bang the boats against the docks. On recommendation from our neighbor we bought  a lift ours is manual and we put in a dock also although costly its done and we enjoy it knowing our boat is out and safe from wakes when we are away from the lake. Also I have to add we own the lakefront so I guess that make a difference hope this helps

First year I kept mine in the water in a slip. I was constantly worried about damage, from storms, and crazy wakes. Last year I had a lift. Less worry, less scum on the toons and less wear on the toons.

Back in the day I bartended at a floating restraunt. A couple "stars" had a very large cabin cruiser on the lake (largest on the lake at the time). One of them let a relative use it, they drove full speed through the no wake of the floating restraunt. It snapped rafters and damaged many boats in slips. They caught the person responsible, but, still a ton of damage. You never know what nut is going to fly by a wreak havoc.

Mine was hit on the port side tube last year at a marina while in the slip .

Nobody saw anything . The insurance co is replacing the tube

Love the nobody saw anything! I added trail cameras to to the roof of our docks. Somebody hit my verado engine cover. 1000 bucks gone.

Back to the question.- proper mooring can help but only you can decide if the chop may be too much to risk damage. I would ask some of the other boaters that dock there.

Love the nobody saw anything! I added trail cameras to to the roof of our docks. Somebody hit my verado engine cover. 1000 bucks gone.
There is a camera at the gate , There is no where for me to mount my own ,I have looked .

This is not a good pic .

The stern is out about 2 ft past that mooring post in the pic .

The damage was last June ,the slip on the port side was not occupied until 7/1 .

The dent is below the water line behind the mooring post .

My thinking is a Jet Ski ?

Back