Boat Trailer sold with Bennington

bjgill17

Reaction score
The boat trailer sold to us with our new 21 SFI has been a problem since day one on getting the trailer to go down on the hitch ball. My dealer said to "put a bunch of thick grease on the ball and then it will slide on like butter"...My question is if it "SLIDES ON LIKE BUTTER' isn't there a VERY GOOD CHANCE it can SLIDE OFF the same way at an UNWANTED TIME....????

Well, this one is probably more technical than I can get without getting long worded but I will try.

As far as slipping off easily, if you fasten the catch after you sit the hitch on the ball it should not be able to come off easily.

As for getting it on, my trailer is a bit difficult as well. I have found it best to stop my vehicle where the trailer has to slide forward just a bit as it goes down. The reason is the catch in the back of the hitch sits on the ball and will not slide down like it should. If the front of the hitch slides snugly, the catch usually does not hang up.

I hope this sheds some light on the situation and helps some. If not, maybe someone else will chime in with an alternative method here.

Good luck and happy boating.

Andy

Had the same problem with my trailer the first time I used it. Bought some marine grease, did what your dealer told you, and haven't had a problem yet. Know it seems counter-intuitive but it works. I found the process to be exactly the way amr7333 describes it - only aggravation is that I need to be pretty precise in lining up the hitch and the ball - I can usually hook up now and only have to get out of the truck about 3 times lol and hope the truck doesn't move when I put it in park. :p

The boat trailer sold to us with our new 21 SFI has been a problem since day one on getting the trailer to go down on the hitch ball. My dealer said to "put a bunch of thick grease on the ball and then it will slide on like butter"...My question is if it "SLIDES ON LIKE BUTTER' isn't there a VERY GOOD CHANCE it can SLIDE OFF the same way at an UNWANTED TIME....????
Put n safety glasses.

Lay down under the hitch, look up and have someone operate the hitch lever for you while you watch what happens. That'll fix your concern about how secure trailer hitch is.

While you're down there, spray up into the mechanism with some PB Blaster. If you never heard of it, look for it in your hardware store. It's good stuff. If you can't find it, WD-40 will do. Have your buddy operate the lever while you're doing this to work everything in real well. Let it sit for an hour then hose it all out with brake cleaner fluid and when that's done drying, re-hose with silicone fluid, which displaces water.

When that's done, rub some marine grease onto the ball itself. if it looks a bit worn and rust, scotchbrite it first, THEN rub the grease onto it; as if you were greasing a baking pan.

Now you've hosed out the rust, dirt, grime and grit, lubed it all up and greased the ball. It should be MUCH more user friendly now.

Everyone is spot on for getting it cleaned and lubed, but i'll throw one more idea in. Your[all] hitches are adjustable, looking up at the hitch you will see a large nut, loosening it will open it up, tightening will close it down. If after cleaning and lubeing it is still too tight, loosen the nut, but only enough for an easy drop. Too much and it will 'bang' around as you stop and go. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone is spot on for getting it cleaned and lubed, but i'll throw one more idea in. Your[all] hitches are adjustable, looking up at the hitch you will see a large nut, loosening it will open it up, tightening will close it down. If after cleaning and lubeing it is still too tight, loosen the nut, but only enough for an easy drop. Too much and it will 'bang' around as you stop and go. Hope this helps!
Right on that is what i did to every boat trailer i have owned. That is what the adjustment is for ...Nothing wrong with the other remedies except greases draws dust,dirt etc and that can lead to other problems down the road as well as getting all over ones clothes etc.

After you clean, lube and adjust your hitch, a hitch lock will keep it form coming off and slow down thieves too.

Back