Boat weight

keithkz

Reaction score
Anyone know how to figure out what the weight is of my boat? I have a 2005 2575 RL I/O Tritoon with a 5.7L Volvo Penta engine. Thanks.

You mean, other than look it up?

ACTUAL weight?

Sure. Drive your empty trailer to the nearest industrial scales, usually at a scrap or stoneyard, then do the same thing with it loaded.

You might have to slip the guy a fiver.

If a close guess is OK...?

A 2011 RL I/O with ESP and the Big Block Chevy weighs around 3,650 pounds. YOU on the other hand have the Small Block Chevy, so right off the bat you can subtract about 150 pounds; which puts you at around 3,500.

Now, there's likely to be all sorts of minor variations, but that 3,500lb figure is going to be within 10% of your true weight, or I'll smooch yer behind in the town square and GIVE ya an hour to draw a crowd. ;)

So if your question relates to trailer towing, as a for instance, yes... You SHOULD be within Class Two specs, although you'll be maxing it out.

BTW, don't worry about me calling Mercury & Volvo engines Chevys. I'm refering to the "naked" engine, sometimes called a "Tall Block".

These aren't your Daddy's, er... Chevies. We're talking Gen III & IV Vortechs, Gen V in the case of the big blocks. HD Powdered metal rods, priority main oiling, steel cranks...

I've known PLENTY of guys running 500+ hp small blocks and THEN adding another 200-300hp of nitrous on top of it.

And all the stuff hanging on it is as labelled and those companies put a lot of effort into designing their induction, cooling and electronics.

You change the oil and otherwise take care of it and that engine will outlive you.

Sorry...

Once a hot-rodder, always a hot-rodder. B)

If you have a truck stop near by they will probably have a scale. They will have no problem letting you use it to way your boat. Just go inside and they will tell you what you need to do.

Go to catscale.com and you will find the nearest scale to you. Cost less than 10 bucks and is worth the peace of mind.

You mean, other than look it up?

ACTUAL weight?

Sure. Drive your empty trailer to the nearest industrial scales, usually at a scrap or stoneyard, then do the same thing with it loaded.

You might have to slip the guy a fiver.

If a close guess is OK...?

A 2011 RL I/O with ESP and the Big Block Chevy weighs around 3,650 pounds. YOU on the other hand have the Small Block Chevy, so right off the bat you can subtract about 150 pounds; which puts you at around 3,500.

Now, there's likely to be all sorts of minor variations, but that 3,500lb figure is going to be within 10% of your true weight, or I'll smooch yer behind in the town square and GIVE ya an hour to draw a crowd. ;)

So if your question relates to trailer towing, as a for instance, yes... You SHOULD be within Class Two specs, although you'll be maxing it out.

BTW, don't worry about me calling Mercury & Volvo engines Chevys. I'm refering to the "naked" engine, sometimes called a "Tall Block".

These aren't your Daddy's, er... Chevies. We're talking Gen III & IV Vortechs, Gen V in the case of the big blocks. HD Powdered metal rods, priority main oiling, steel cranks...

I've known PLENTY of guys running 500+ hp small blocks and THEN adding another 200-300hp of nitrous on top of it.

And all the stuff hanging on it is as labelled and those companies put a lot of effort into designing their induction, cooling and electronics.

You change the oil and otherwise take care of it and that engine will outlive you.

Sorry...

Once a hot-rodder, always a hot-rodder. B)
A 2011 2575RL I/O with ESP is 3650 lbs WITHOUT engine or drive. A 350 Merc I/O is about 950 lbs, a big block is 1150 or so, That puts Kiethz's boat at approximately 4600 lbs without fuel, battery, or gear. I will pass on the smooch however. :)

A 2011 2575RL I/O with ESP is 3650 lbs WITHOUT engine or drive. A 350 Merc I/O is about 950 lbs, a big block is 1150 or so, That puts Kiethz's boat at approximately 4600 lbs without fuel, battery, or gear. I will pass on the smooch however. :)
I appreciate that. :lol:

Back