Boating/trailering Checklist

lakeliving

Reaction score
I've searched and searched and cannot find it. I thought there was a topic a while back about must haves. The wife and I are going to be trailering the toon for the first time this Saturday and I'm looking for a good list as I don't want to get to the ramp and be missing something. If this is already here someone please help with the link. My fingers are bleeding from searching but the good news is I did learn a lot from reading through the posts! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Common sense is the number one thing.

That means watch for others waiting, don't go around them. Load your stuff from vehicle onto toon BEFORE backing down the ramp. Don't stop and chat with people while dropping/pulling. Oh yeah, unhook REAR STRAPS BEFORE BACKING IN !!

These are all things others have done that I dealt with when I trailered and drive me nuts !! Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for the info guys. I've launched the Jet ski multiple times and am aware of ramp etiquette. Some times we'll walk down to the ramp on our lake, sit on a bench and watch the madness. When the dealer delivered ours I took note of the removed cushion, cup holders loos items etc. I also noticed that he had the motor trimmed up with the stop engaged. I've seen other posts where everyone states to keep the motor down if you can. I'll see how it sits on the trailer and keep down if able. Wasn't there a check list that someone posted a while ago of their routine? If it cannot be found no big deal. I'll get us there and back in one piece!

I have a pretty nice list, but I don't have it with me at the moment. I will find it and post it later tonight.

We trailer our boat exclusively. Most ramps have a place to pull off to the side deemed "unstrapping" locations. Pull off and load everything on the boat, unstrap the rear straps, trim the motor up, unhook the front strap if you are using guide ropes or launching the boat with a driver onboard, then back it in. I started out leaving the boat strapped to the front at first as extra control when first starting out then giving it a little push to get it off the trailer, but now we load everything on and I back it in until it simply floats off and away we go. Simple routine once you get it down it goes pretty quickly. Just run through the checklist in reverse when putting the boat back on the trailer. Easy stuff.

Hey David, I we're planning on taking near your neck of the woods on Saturday, Lake Fenton. Scoped out the launch today and looks like it will be a breeze. Concert tonight, load up tomorrow and hit the lake early!

Definitely get there early, we had over an hour long wait to get on the water at Lake Fenton last week as there are only so many parking spots. Was like that at many of the big lakes last weekend. Would meet you over there for a brew, but we will be heading over to Lake Michigan (Benton Harbor) for a Salmon Fishing Charter. Enjoy man!

BTW, Lake Fenton has a great loading/unloading area! Nice spot to unstrap the boat before pulling up and likewise after loading it back on. Ramps are deep enough to allow easy on and off and docks are fairly well maintained. One of my fav spots as far as that process is concerned.

It looked pretty nice earlier, wide and a decent slope. I hope 8ish will be early enough!!

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you were looking for. If not, disregard. Anyone is more than welcome to copy it if it helps you out.

Dan

Pre-Season Checklist:

• Registration stickers (odd years)
  • Registration papers in boat
  • Trailer Registration in boat
  • Tire pressure
  • Polish pontoons
  • Wax fence
  • 303 vinyl
  • Vacuum
  • Battery Install
  • Lube cover snaps
  • Start engine (muffs)
  • Grease steering (motor) and 2 zerks
  • Grease prop splines
  • Check wheel bearing grease
  • Inspect bunk carpet
  • Other motor maint? Plugs, impeller, etc.

Trailering Checklist – Trailer, Vehicle and Boat

• Attach mirror extensions on truck
  • Install hitch and cotter pin
  • Install light plug
  • Attach trailer
  • Close ball latch
  • Check that ball is clamped in correctly
  • Insert safety pin
  • Attach safety chains to vehicle
  • Attach emergency brake cable to vehicle
  • Connect lights to vehicle
  • Winch locked and tight
  • Install front tie-down or safety chain
  • Crank down trailer
  • Put tongue wheel up and lock
  • Check lights working
  • Check tire pressure
  • Check wheel bearings
  • Motor down and straight
  • Install rear tie-downs
  • Ladder up and locked
  • Bimini in radar position and struts locked
  • Cover snaps secure. If not covering, remove all loose items from boat
  • Remove wheel chocks
  • All 3 gates shut and locked
  • Fenders/bumpers stowed
  • Test trailer brakes when pulling out

Heading Out on Lake – Safety Items:

• Life vests – Tell passengers where they are.
  • Kids – Vests on. Check for tightness now, might forget before they jump in.
  • Sunblock
  • Everyone in the boat? Seated?
  • Count passengers
  • Remove keys from ignition when stopped
  • Motor trimmed down when off, turn prop away from ladder

Heading Out on Lake - Starting Motor:

• Swimmers in boat
  • Propeller Clear
  • Ladder Up
  • Secure or stow loose items
  • Start motor, check motor cooling stream running
  • Motor Won’t Start – Neutral? Safety Lanyard?
  • Take in Bumpers/Fenders after leaving dock

Coming in from Lake - Docking:

• Bumpers out
  • Lines ready
  • Boat hook ready
  • Remind passengers to stay seated
  • Give assignments if needed

Post Docking List:

• Motor Down (don’t hit back of garage)
  • Ladder Up
  • Bimini Lowered (don’t hit garage door)
  • Dash Switches Off
  • Key Off
  • Dock Lines Tight
  • Cover on if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back