Bottom Paint on Toon

JasonLepore

Reaction score
I winterized my boat and did the Oil Change, etc,,, Bought it Brand new Last Year and had the Bottom Painted... Should I Repaint the Bottom Again this year? Or can I get 2 years out of it?

I keep it in the Water all Summer ( Brackish Water)

Thanks

I think it should be good for more than 1 year.

What did you paint it with and might I ask what was the cost? Also did you do it or have some one else do it? Mine will be put in the water for the first time this year and also staying in the water for the summer. The dock doesn't allow me to put a lift either so I am trying to figure out whats the best way to protect the boat

I've never heard of painting the tubes before... Are you painting the entire tube? Or just below waterline? Wouldn't maintenance be less on bare metal?

He's in brackish (salty) water. His boat is staying in the water so it needs to be painted.

Definitely needs bottom paint. How often you need to re-paint it will depend on how you use the boat (i.e. if you beach it a lot, the sand will wear the paint off the bottom quickly). Mine stays in the water here year round and it too is brackish water. Even with bottom paint, you'll still require maintenance. When we use the boat, I usually get in the water and with a Scotch-Brite pad just wipe it down. When we don't go out, I'll put on my wet suit and just do it while it's tied up to the dock. It takes about 20 minutes or so to completely wipe it down. I do this once a week in the summer, and once every two weeks in the winter (again, what's winter? B) )

Last edited by a moderator:
The Paint they Used is .... Interlux Pacifica Plus.... They said it was a few day Process to Hand Sand it , Solvent, and 2 coats of epoxy , then the paint..I have a Tri toon and they Charged $65/Ft for this....

Its still in good shape,,,, They paint just to the Waterline..... I do not want it to get thick on there... I might just do a thin coat on there myself or touch ups,,, I guess I will see once the weather breaks........

Thanks

Back