Bottom Painting the pontoons

Geo75

Reaction score
I am thinking of bottom painting. I have a sl 20 with a Yamaha 90 hp. Can anyone tell me how far up the pontoons need to be painted? I have not had the boat in the water so there is no reference water line.

I am thinking of bottom painting. I have a sl 20 with a Yamaha 90 hp. Can anyone tell me how far up the pontoons need to be painted? I have not had the boat in the water so there is no reference water line.
It varies on an angle along each pontoon depending on dual or triple toon, and weight…particularly rear motor weight.

For your specific boat (dual toon with that 90HP?), someone on here can probably give you a ballpark. However, it wont be definitive until you drop yours into the water and can see for yourself what angle the water line runs at.

Can you wait until you put it in the water and mark it before painting, or is this something you have to “guesstimate“ to then paint before dropping it in the water the first time?

That is probably the question you need to answer yourself based on your comfort level with precision.

I would like to schedule for painting in the winter. It is hard to get it done when the weather changes. The marina's are busy then.

If the person/shop doing the painting is a reputable shop,they should have a good idea how far up to go .

Thanks for the Ideas. I am trying to get some prices now and to get on a schedule.

Not sure where you are located. Can you put the boat in the water, mark it and pull it right back out without running the engine? In Ohio we've put boats in the water in January/Feburary for testing if there is not any ice on the river. No chance on a lake in the winter around here.

Back