BOW SAFETY CHAIN

floves

Reaction score
My pontoon trailer did not come with a safety chain and I would like to get one in case the winch strap breaks. I've looked at Overton's but can't find one, anyone have any ideas where to get one? I have a Trailmaster trailer but I haven't had any luck getting through to anyone. When I bought my setup I was told by dealer I didn't need a safety chain. I also like to find out what people use for rear tie downs.

I found one interesting thing from another manufacturer of trailers (ShoreLand'r), "Bow eye safety chains are not supplied on pontoon trailer models, because pontoon trailers are only offered in bunk style". What does this mean? Thanks.

Bunk style is where the potoons sit on top of the trailer bunks....they're cradles if you will....vs. the older style trailers that have those arsm tucked underneath and inbetween the logs (pontoons).

I would continue to use the chain of command at the manufacturer and get the saftey chain. I bought a new Loadrite trailer two years ago for my tritoon (expensive as heck) and it came with one.

As far as rear straps I use those straps that, after you tighten the strap, you further tighten and lock it by folding down the hardware portion by one end and then the end of the strap gets folded and tucked neatly in a velcro piece to conceal it. I use that setup for securring the stern to my trailer. Pretty sure that's the best option; strong and neat.

I always used a safety chain on my other pontoon. At 65 mph, I did not trust "just" the winch strap.

You can always make your own with soe chain, a heavy duty bolt and one of those chain links that screw open. Just a thought.

I also used the tie downs Keith found.

Thanks for the responses, with regards to the rear transom tie down's, what size did you guys buy? I see they come 2', 4', and 6' lengths.

Floves...............the guys in the service department at my marina rigged up a safety chain for my trailer/pontoon boat for piece of mind. My trailer didn't come w/one but I had one for years when I had my bowrider. So I had to have one on my current trailer. I forgot the manufacturer of my rear tie downs but I have a set of 2 inch "ratchet" style and 4 ft. in length that I bought from Tractor Supply. Easy to tighten and easy to remove..................

Right or wrong, I've been using a ratchet tie down from the winch hook (not enough space for it in the center toon eye) straight down to an eye on the trailer. Similar to how the rear tie downs are used.

Right or wrong, I've been using a ratchet tie down from the winch hook (not enough space for it in the center toon eye) straight down to an eye on the trailer. Similar to how the rear tie downs are used.
You're using this as a safety/back up to the winch strap????? You have to have it independently attached from the trailer to the pontoon boat itself. Because if the winch strap breaks the whole thing goes if I'm reading this correctly................ Before I had my safety chain installed that's exactly what I used..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Just from experience. Having a safety chain is a great idea but I had our winch strap break last year as I was pulling our 2 toon boat up the ramp. We have a very steep and long ramp. There is a hump in the concrete sections and I heard a very loud sound. At the top of the ramp I saw that the strap had broken. The boat did not move at all. If you have carpeted bunks the friction should keep the boat in place. Our ESP toon is so stuck to the bunks that we can not move it the last 2" to tighten against the stops and I bought the best winch I could find.

The hook that attaches the winch strap to the boat is so large nothing else will fit in the eye of the toon with it. So, i have to hook the backup strap to the hook, which is big enough to hook onto. If the strap breaks the hook would stay attached to the toon, and so would the backup strap.

I agree it's not as good as a chain, but that's what I have and do. I will look into a chain though.

All right.....I understand now. Don't know what I was picturing.......

Back