Bow Thruster

CcanDo

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a bow thruster design on a pontoon boat ?

The scheme would have a tube w/open ends, welded cross ways (right angle ) inside of the hull tube (s). A bi-directional motor fitted with a propellor is attached inside of the thruster tube. Water/air tite fittings are installed in the design for routing the motor conductors. A motor driven gate may be required to reduce parasitic drag, when the thrusters are not in use. Or, a water foil may be adequate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen a bow thruster design on a pontoon boat ?

The scheme would have a tube w/open ends, welded cross ways (right angle ) inside of the hull tube (s). A bi-directional motor fitted with a propellor is attached inside if the thruster tube. Water/air tite fittings are installed in the design for routing the motor conductors. A motor driven gate may be required to reduce parasitic drag, when the thrusters are not in use. Or, a water foil may be adequate.
I have a dock line I throw to someone on the dock and they pull. Ha-Ha

I think Not. Pull up to the dock slowly and practice, practice. practice. Best done when you don't have your wife and friends on board.

I think Not. Pull up to the dock slowly and practice, practice. practice. Best done when you don't have your wife and friends on board.
Just kidding !

CcanDo, wow, that's a lot of engineering challenges! Couldn't you get the same results with a modified drop down trolling motor setup? Either way, it seems it would involve some sort of extra steering controls, perhaps a joystick control for the thruster?

Let us know what you come up with!

CcanDo, wow, that's a lot of engineering challenges! Couldn't you get the same results with a modified drop down trolling motor setup? Either way, it seems it would involve some sort of extra steering controls, perhaps a joystick control for the thruster?

Let us know what you come up with!
Just playing with ideas....The effort might be most feasible for Bennington. The time to make this type of installation is during production. The Bill Of Material and Labor factor might afford for a popular, fun option. However, the after market may also be interested in something like this. The down side for after market is that of existing Bennington warrantee. Perhaps, the after market could collaberate with Bennington for a warrantee solution. Otherwise, after market would become the ultimate vendor, responsible for related claims.

The biggest deterrant to Pontoon Boating seems to be docking and trailer loading. The trolling motor solution is probably most practical. However, there may be interferance when trailering, perhaps docking and probably, when beaching. After that, bow thrusters may be more sanitary astheticaly. The fisherman may even find the system to be handy when in areas of underwater corruption.

Control method could be as simple as a momentary on/off switch. Joy stick/potentiometer has better finite control. One could also enhance the solution, using one or more inexpensive accelerometers, for user friendly circuit support.

Just commenting....The Pontoon Boat could be said to be coming of age. Using a nominal ski boat price of 100K that runs 50 MPH on a good day or a cruiser of sort at a similar price w/less performance, burning more fuel, both without flexibility of the potential pontoon boat. Therefore, it may be logical the market could be attracted to user friendly, creature comfort options. The intimidation factor, negating pontoon boats, I've seen, is that of handling in tight areas at slow speed.

I have a dock line I throw to someone on the dock and they pull. Ha-Ha
Hi gerry, I have never had the pleasure of meeting an Admiral. Though, it is my understanding, an Admiral is held in highest esteem and definately "in charge of the ship". Therefore, when your command is relative to a dock line, "throw and pull", "things happen". Now, whereas my beligerent pier group may not provide that luxury, all options on the table. LOL

http://www.lencomarine.com/joyridedualdigit.html

I already blew up my budget for this year so there is no way I'm going to buy this for my "yet to arrive" Bennington.

I think that would do the job and would work with the trailer, beaching, .....
Tref, Good find, Lenco is known to have good products. A couple FYI, Bennington is OEM w/Lenco, The 2 HP units are best bang for the buck (little if any gain w/3 HP, other than price).

The system shown should work well at the stern, subject to ability to change the Lenco rudder 90*). However, the bow may still lack adequate control, hence drifting.

Is it just my imagination, or has anyone seen an increasing number of "Divorce Attorney's" hanging around the dock/ramp ??? LOL

There was this this one creative dude, driving the Ambulance type vehicle. The sign painter had painted: "EMS"

"Crash Repair"

"Divorce Attorney"

"One Call Does All"

Back