Bowrider leaking concerns

seank

Reaction score
I am relatively new Bennington owner and pretty new to boating overall. I am concerned about how my 2021 23LTFB is sitting in the water. I will attempt to share a picture below.

As slight back story, my first two summers with the boat I was able to keep it out of the water in a boat lift. This summer it is docked in a marina. I live in Ithaca New York and I just got back from a two week trip and I know that it rained a LOT while I was away.

I checked on the boat last night. It appeared to me that the stern of the boat is sitting way lower in the water than it normally does. I checked the compartments of the boat and the rear compartment did have a bunch of water in it. I turned on the bilge pump and for a good few minutes it was pumping water out and the stern of the boat appeared to rise up out of the water an inch or so.

With the motor raised up all the way the bottom is still touching the water.

Can anyone give me advice on this? Does this look normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks for any help.

IMG_6468.jpeg
IMG_6463.jpeg

It looks a little extra low, especially if these pictures were AFTER you ran your bilge pump and it raised up a couple inches. However, without any before and after pictures, there really is no definitive way for any of us to know as many boats sit slightly differently in the back based on motor weight, layout, etc…

Can you pull it out on a trailer and test for water in your pontoons, or any other areas where there could be water that you didn’t check? Did the bilge pump get all the water our of your center pontoon storage area? These things may help answer your question.

Thanks for your response. I sent the pictures to the dealer where I bought the boat. They didn't seem very concerned. But they pointed the same thing you did that every boat is different with motor weight, fuel level, etc. It also seems logical that if just 1 pontoon had a leak that it would be listing which it doesn't appear to be doing. But they reassured me that with compartmentalization of the toons that there is really no risk of it sinking :)

I do have a trailer on order and should be able to get it within the next week or two. I be able to better test it for water then.

Just out of curiosity, how much does the diving board weigh?

It's normal for boats to squat if they have bigger engines on the back, the question is obviously how much indicates a problem. Thankfully the construction of a pontoon allows for pretty quick troubleshooting - excess weight can only be contained in the form of fuel in the tank, water in a leaking toon, water in the center storage locker, or "stuff". As Viking noted if you can get your boat out of the water on a trailer and listen for sloshing that will eliminate the biggest concern IMO.

Back