Box anchor for sand bars

The small is perfect for that size boat but it's plenty big to handle. I'm not sure if the small could hold those 3 but anything bigger might be a bit unwieldy for just a single boat.

I have used our small box while tied up with 3 & 4 boats, i set mine once, they have to keep setting theirs to keep us from spinning around.

When i got the small box i had my doubts, but it has held in every situation. I think the large box would be good for a 40' yacht.

I'm surprised that other manufacturers haven't caught on yet. Ohio man made lakes are the hardest to get a strong hold.

Biggest fights with my wife have been over the urgent nature of other anchors pulling and our boat getting ready to hit another.

Box anchor has solved that, even with both tops up and high wind. Heck, I maybe give out 12 foot of rope in 3 to 4 foot of water.

Now I really want one of those sand screw pole types for the rear but 200 plus for one, 399 for 2. Ugh

20 SLX... Small Box Anchor works great.

How much Tea dipping does it take to get the muck off? The Lake I'm on is full of sediment and the Danforth I use always comes up loaded but dunking does the trick. It does come clean easily, but then I have the line dripping mucky water on the carpet. Guess you just can't win.

It's not bad, much easier the huge clumps that ended up on the danforth. It's holding power deals more with surface tension than getting the hooks into hard soil.

Rope being dirty, can't help you there. One dirty lake I guess

So I went out and purchased the small box anchor. I have a 2250 gbr and this weekend we had 15 mph winds. I was somewhat disappointed. Yes the anchor did hold fairly well and caught quickly but with 15 mph winds we still dragged a bit and had to reset a couple times due to the amount of anchored boats. I just want an anchor that will not let my boat move.

How deep was the water and how much line did you have out?                                                   

So I went out and purchased the small box anchor. I have a 2250 gbr and this weekend we had 15 mph winds. I was somewhat disappointed. Yes the anchor did hold fairly well and caught quickly but with 15 mph winds we still dragged a bit and had to reset a couple times due to the amount of anchored boats. I just want an anchor that will not let my boat move.
Here's a good forum conversation about the "small" size not holding in the wind. Scroll down to the info from keithkz as he contacted the company. We've followed this and has worked great. We have a 22' tritoon.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/3279-which-anchor/?hl=anchor

I have the large box anchor with a 2350 rbr. I am on a moderate sized lake with a fair amount of wake. I did speak with the owner/inventor before purchasing it. He recommended the large for my boat. I bought the line that his company sells. I have had a few minor problems with dragging. I generally let out double the depth as recommended to keep it at a 45 degree angle. I have a mark every 5 feet on the line. I think the bow raises in the wake which pulls the anchor out of place. Other times, it has held steady.

I noticed most everyone on the forum lives in the northern states, all the lakes in Alabama are man made. I ask the guy who owns the marina where I bought my boat & he said he used to sell the box anchors but because there are still tree trunks in places on the bottom & everyone was getting them stuck & losing them. The bottoms here are muck,  I have a mushroom anchor, it holds ok unless there is a strong wind. I just bought a pontoon, my recent boats were a Sea Ray Sundancer 320 and a Sea Ray SLX Select 250 and they both had a windlass with a regular anchor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I read this thread today! We went out over the holiday weekend and met friends at our local sandbar. He had the small box anchor he was using on this toon, so we tied up to him. All the reviews I've seen on this site had me chomping at the bit to see how well this thing held.

The anchor held us both well at first when there weren't many boats tied up yet. I could see us move a little with the large wake and winds but nothing like a dragging Danforth.

Then the crowd showed up and things got ugly. Those little movements became much more pronounced when we were in close quarters with other boats. We ultimately threw out my bow and stern anchors to make sure we didn't move!

I can see these things working really well when you're anchored with some distance between you and the next boat but when you're tied up in the middle of a larger group, my feelings are it doesn't hold as tightly as I'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember that the small was designed to hold one mid sized boat,,,,, while it does a very good job at holding a couple in mild conditions....multiple toons have an enormous surface area.....

Back