Breaking in at Strawberry

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I took the new Benny out for a multi-day trip to a place called Strawberry Reservoir here in Utah. It's a big, high elevation reservoir. Roughly 17,000 acres at about 7,600' above sea level. I have some family with a cabin there so we stayed there and spend a couple days playing out on the water. Fishing is the predominant activity at this reservoir with some nice trout and salmon to be had. We didn't spend a lot of time fishing but I did get one on the line while we were drifting around yesterday. The monsoon pattern is hitting Utah hard right now so we were dodging storms and didn't get as much time on the water as I would have liked. Not a lot of photos, but here's a few. 

A few performance notes with the new boat. This was the first time out with the power steering connected and WOW, what a difference! I just can't believe that a high end boat dealer put 4 hours on the water in this thing and never figured that out. And speaking of dealer, after a week of nothing, I finally got them to just say 'we'll have all the parts to fix all the issues in a couple weeks'. For them, I'm considering that a win. I am still waiting on my new stainless prop, but I was still okay with my numbers I got. We had a pretty heavy load, 7 adults, 2 kids, 3 dogs and 50+ gallons of gas and I was hitting 30mph. Not bad considering the 7,600' altitude and aluminum prop. I read somewhere that you lose 3-4% of your engine performance per 1,000 feet ASL which means I was running somewhere between 70-75% due to the thin air. I'm really looking forward to getting that stainless prop on this week and doing some tests at lower elevations. Lake Powell, coming soon!  B)

Dogs love loungers. 

strawberry-2.jpg

Definitely coming back here in the fall when those aspens light up. 

strawberry-1.jpg

LOVED having the iPad Mini setup on the dash. I used an app called Gaia which not only let me know where I was but also gave me a constant GPS speedometer.  Very nice. 

strawberry-10.jpg

strawberry-11.jpg

Running away from a storm with a happy wife. 

strawberry-12.jpg

strawberry-9.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that I like being the cool uncle with the boat a lot better than having kids myself! 

strawberry-3.jpg

Miles of smiles!  :D

strawberry-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great time was had by all.

I sure hope the first thing you said when the storm came up was, "good thing we got the 200!!" haha, I know what you mean about the cool uncle part, it sure is fun when they are always excited to see you! I remember when I traded in the 90hp and got the ESP 200 RCW, that first time out was mind blowing!! 

I sure hope the first thing you said when the storm came up was, "good thing we got the 200!!" haha, I know what you mean about the cool uncle part, it sure is fun when they are always excited to see you! I remember when I traded in the 90hp and got the ESP 200 RCW, that first time out was mind blowing!! 
Haha! Next time that will be when I say "see, honey, we probably need to upgrade to the 250!"

Awesome report. I know what you mean about the monsoon season. It is pouring here. I think the dog is going to have a heart attack with all the thunder and lightning.

Cheers, Steve

Back