Broken MPH gauge.

MrG

Reaction score
My speed gauge seems to have decided to call it quits any advice on trouble shooting or is a Dealer Only fix?

On the front edge of your lower unit is a small hole, that is the intake point for water, see if its clogged.  If you have an external pick up check it.  Look for some vids online to troubleshoot, there is a small tube that runs up to the speedo, check for kinks/ breaks.  

Make sure the hose is still connected to the back of the speedo. Also you can blow some air into the hose and you should see bubbles at the lower unit while in the water. Don't use a lot of pressure from a compressor though. You can also blow into the back of the speedo to see if it works but not a lot of pressure or it will break.

My last merc outdrive ended up having a tear in the hose right where the outdrive meets the boat, found a coupling and made the repair, good as new. Hopefully your fix will be similar. 

My old boat, I had the hose pop off the speedo, all of a sudden water is getting on my legs.  It also got damaged between the drive and the transom.  You can add the external style if the internal is not workable.

Same as Matt......The pick up tube was broken but mine brought water into the bilge and was filling it up until fixed.....

Hey guys I had a chance to play with the MPH gauge . Yes my Outdrive has a small hole at the leading edge of the out drive Yes it felt clogged and even "Impacted" with crud. I could only dig out a bit of what seemed like Dirt. But the hole in the out drive seemed to sill be blocked. I ended up using a micro screw driver and trying to push the dirt threw the hole and some how un clog the issue, but I just pushed it further into the Outdrive now the speedo reads "Zero" it's like i made it worse if that's possible LOL the back side of the gauge is all digital No Tube of any sort just a large electronic quick disconnect . I un plugged and plugged it back in again and  still no mph reading??

Follow the hose from the outdrive to see where it goes. I'm guessing there is a sending unit for the speedo and you should be able to blow some air through the hose.

Is your speedo pitot driven or GPS?

I'm guessing it's NOT gps. It would make sence that it has a Tube that runs to some sort of a converter box 

Back