Bumpers for new L21

Bobby Bass

Reaction score
I’ve ordered a new L21 and I’m looking to get bumpers for docking. My docks have an aluminum frame with no bumpers or padding so the bumpers need to be attached to the boat. I have a u-shaped setup so the boat will need bumpers on both sides To avoid rubbing on the sides and getting dock rash. Any recommendations for bumpers?

The above size is what we go with. We do 3 on each side instead of two on each side. Does the job very well!

I’ve ordered a new L21 and I’m looking to get bumpers for docking. My docks have an aluminum frame with no bumpers or padding so the bumpers need to be attached to the boat. I have a u-shaped setup so the boat will need bumpers on both sides To avoid rubbing on the sides and getting dock rash. Any recommendations for bumpers?
Are you sure you can’t get bumpers for your dock? We have an aluminum framed dock and were able to purchase bumpers that fastened to the dock. You might want to check with your dock dealer.

Are you sure you can’t get bumpers for your dock? We have an aluminum framed dock and were able to purchase bumpers that fastened to the dock. You might want to check with your dock dealer.
Thanks for your reply. What bumpers do you use? Unfortunately the manufacturer doesn’t make bumpers and has made a generic recommendation. Looking for feedback from Bennington owners with aluminum docks that have bumpers that they attach to their boats. I have standard inflatable bumpers that hang from the boat rails but they don’t secure at the bottom and can pop up and allow the boat to hit the aluminum sides of the dock if they get squeezed during a storm or rough weather.

Thanks for your reply. What bumpers do you use? Unfortunately the manufacturer doesn’t make bumpers and has made a generic recommendation. Looking for feedback from Bennington owners with aluminum docks that have bumpers that they attach to their boats. I have standard inflatable bumpers that hang from the boat rails but they don’t secure at the bottom and can pop up and allow the boat to hit the aluminum sides of the dock if they get squeezed during a storm or rough weather.
I actually have a lift for my Benny. However, I do have dock bumpers that I bought from my dock dealer. Honestly, I really don’t know if they are generic, but they seem to fit nicely.

I use those as well attached to my mooring posts along with 8.5X27 bumpers.
1705416186342.jpeg
1705416209838.jpeg
1705416245451.jpeg

Our dock slips are really narrow and the round bumpers don't fit - I use the Hull Hugger rectangular bumpers which have worked great (amazon), even during the windy monsoons we get - plus easier to store. You can also walk around a local dock and check out options, or just search online - 100's of options! However, until you understand the size of your boat vs dock - impossible to pick. Love the idea of a dock mounted bumper - but for us that would mean almost zero room to slide in our Benny.
1705428166741.png1705428215627.png1705428301148.png

Thanks for all the suggestions I’m going to check them out. For my setup I’ll have a 8.5 foot beam and a 10 foot opening to dock inside so about 9 inches on each side.

BB, let us know what you end up doing. Sounds like you’ve got some options.

BB, I have used the Mission Sentry fenders on my Benny at the cleats for years without issue. They're a more expensive option but think they work the best on the cleats, staying in place right at the rub rails where I need them, not so well for anywhere else on the boat. I do also use the standard bumper style and hang them from the railing if needed.

It always depends on your docking situation. Remember other than at home you need space on the boat to carry them. I carry raw long ones as Jack shared plus I carry two 18 in round Taylor fenders. They nest real nice between the deck and pontoon and keep the boat away from stuff.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’ve ordered additional dock sections since my new boat is longer. They Should arrive in March. I’ll have them installed in April and then buy bumpers for both the boat and docks so I‘m covered at home and docking elsewhere.

Back