Bumpers

Four R's

Reaction score
We have a 24' Bennington with twin 32" elipticals and would like to know what size bumpers to purchase, how many and what manufacturer is the best.

I had a 2575 RL and use 10 X 26 Taylor bumpers. They are probably overkill but depending what docks you are matching up with better safe than sorry. We bought a new 2375 GCW this spring and will use the same bumpers for that boat. They are a little more costly but worth the price rather than using the small ones that don't protect your baby as well.

We use 6.5x23. I'd recommend at least three per side.

I would call this the minimum size, and minimum quantity. But, as Glorey said, it depends on how your dock lines up with your boat. You do not want bumpers against your fence panels or they will dent.

I'd also recommend those with a needle valve so you can adjust the air pressure.

We use 6.5x23. I'd recommend at least three per side.

I would call this the minimum size, and minimum quantity. But, as Glorey said, it depends on how your dock lines up with your boat. You do not want bumpers against your fence panels or they will dent.

I'd also recommend those with a needle valve so you can adjust the air pressure.
we have our own dock so I will be able to set them up exactly as I want. Maybe I'll compromise and go for the 8". According to the manufacturers, they suggest 1' in diameter for each 5' in length. that would put me with 5"??? Getting the air pressure for sure. Thanks

You may want to take a look at the 5-inchers in person before you order some. They are pretty small. I've heard stories of bumpers "rolling" up onto the dock in the wind/waves, leaving the boat to pound against the side of the dock. The bigger bumpers are longer and heavier, both of which help to keep them where they are supposed to stay.

Others will chime in, and you can do as you wish, but I wouldn't go that small. Not worth the risk.

I agree. 10x26 is size I'd use at a minimum !!!

I'd look at deck height to water line and get close th that.

Not high enough to touch panels and not low enough to touch water.

As kaydano said, not worth risk going too small.

I agree. 10x26 is size I'd use at a minimum !!!

I'd look at deck height to water line and get close th that.

Not high enough to touch panels and not low enough to touch water.

As kaydano said, not worth risk going too small.
I'm sure you can tell that I'm new at this. That's why this forum is so valuable to me. Wheras I considered the diameter, it's the length that's probably even more important. Will move to longer and wider. thanks gents!

I'm sure you can tell that I'm new at this. That's why this forum is so valuable to me. Wheras I considered the diameter, it's the length that's probably even more important. Will move to longer and wider. thanks gents!
This really does not sound right ...... Lol !!!!!!

I should clarify. My boat is garaged, not in a slip. Valet service puts it in 30 minutes before we get there. Therefore, it's ALWAYS a nice day whenever my boat is tied up to a dock. That's why 6.5x23 fenders work for me.

If I had my own dock, and the boat was in the water all the time (storms, wind, wakes, etc) I would go with bigger fenders.

One other thing not mentioned, I believe the fenders should be soft but firm. I would say like a NERF football.

I should clarify. My boat is garaged, not in a slip. Valet service puts it in 30 minutes before we get there. Therefore, it's ALWAYS a nice day whenever my boat is tied up to a dock. That's why 6.5x23 fenders work for me.

If I had my own dock, and the boat was in the water all the time (storms, wind, wakes, etc) I would go with bigger fenders.

One other thing not mentioned, I believe the fenders should be soft but firm. I would say like a NERF football.
sounds better than my comment about longer and wider!

No, your comment was a WAY more funny! It slipped by me until Semper pointed it out. LOL.

Looking for info as to start up gear for a new boat owner. Bumpers, deck ropes, lifejackets etc. Is there a list of items that could be viewed for new owners. I have some ideas just want to double check before setting "sail". thanks, handshake, stan

Looking for info as to start up gear for a new boat owner. Bumpers, deck ropes, lifejackets etc. Is there a list of items that could be viewed for new owners. I have some ideas just want to double check before setting "sail". thanks, handshake, stan
The search box is your friend.

http://club.benningt...on +must +haves

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone new to boating should read the thread Carl posted above. Just thougth I'd add the emphasis on it.

Do any of you have this type of fenders, and if you do, will they work well. Just got a new Bennie and I would like the best to protect it.

The pontoon is a 24slx with EPP, 150 HP Yamaha & some extra's. Appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Bruce & Bette

Lake Norman, NC

2013 Product Catalog

Pontoon Fenders

pontoonfenders_2.jpg

Exclusively designed for the needs of Pontoon Boaters, these unique fenders offer a level of protection to areas on the Pontoon boat other fenders can't provide. The Pontoon Fender is specifically designed to fit snugly between the pontoon and the deck of the boat, protecting both from rafting boats, docks, or other objects. All pontoon fenders are made from our own marine-grade, U.V. resistant vinyl and have an integrated rubber football style valve for easy inflation.

Stock No. Description Width x Length

spacer.gif
#31030 Pontoon Fender 9" x 16"

spacer.gif

We had them and they are a pain. I sold them for $20.00 for 4 of them. Tha standard oned are much easier to use. Where are you on Lake Norman? We're down in Lucky Creek by Westport Marina.

Thanks for the input. Can you suggest another fender to use, I would appreciate it.

I'm accually not on the lake (wish I was). I am going to trailer between Lake Hickory and Norman, I spent my years growing up on Hickory, but live closer to Norman, and will go to both, have friends on both. I will be putting in on the north end of Norman around Qween's Landing close to Marshall Steam Station.

I just purchased 4 bumpers from a store on EBay 10 x 26. They are brand new and very nice quality and only cost me $150.

Back