Bunk Board Wear & Tear

Noah Genda

Reaction score
Just curious. Upon loading and launching my tritoon for the first time, the carpet on one of the bunk boards was torn. Is it normal, a sign of inferior workmanship, or am I just lousy when it comes to trailering? I applied some liquid nails type product on the section that tore. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

There might have been a hangnail ( welding slag, etc.) on the bottom of the tube that was on that bunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed the link for ya.

Trailer companies are like other manufacturers, they're not perfect. It's fortunately easy to fix such a problem.

Worse comes to worse, just recarpet the bunks--cheap and not even very time consuming.

I bought replacement bunk carpet runners last year at Bass Pro Shop and they were reasonable enough. They are cut to size, but you may have to cut to proper length. Good luck.

Royo

I agree with Carl, there is something snagging the carpet. Next time you are floating around, carefully run your hand along the underside to find the problem.

I agree with Carl, there is something snagging the carpet. Next time you are floating around, carefully run your hand along the underside to find the problem.
And wear a cloth glove. Don't ask me how I know this...

The carpet on my bunks wears out about every 3 years. It is pretty easy to replace but i am considering going to bunk sliders. They are a plastic panel that is put on instead of the carpet. I havent tried them but they sound pretty good. This is overtons version. Several others out there.

Overton's Trailer Bunk Glide-On Kithttp://www.overtons....3E&merchID=4006

Item # 714761
Those look slick! :) :)

Thanks, everyone! Love this group. Great ideas/suggestions from great boating people.

Just passing on something I remember reading somewhere.

If you replace the boards as well, don't use pressure treated ones as they have a chemical in them that reacts with the aluminum when it gets wet. IIRC, the chemical witll eat little holes in the pontoons. Not sure this is true but, worth checking into.

Good luck.

andy

If you replace the boards as well, don't use pressure treated ones as they have a chemical in them that reacts with the aluminum when it gets wet. IIRC, the chemical witll eat little holes in the pontoons. Not sure this is true but, worth checking into.

Good luck.

andy
Yes, it's true.

Does it react through the carpet? I haven't replaced mine, but I would have used pressure treated lumber. This is good to know.

Thanks

Royo

Good luck.

andy
Not totally true. We do not sell that type anymore at my business.. The stuff we sell can be used in contact with aluminum.

The old I believe was CCA OR ACQ treated, and now we have MCA. Just different chemicals, but aluminum friendly.

Back