Buying a New 22 SLX

RedlineZ,

The XL 150 performance package just came out in March not available for all models. It's not shown on the Bennington build site. I have it on our 22SSI and the boat is quick and handles well. It is not the express tube package, middle tube is full lenth. I will post drawings in the Gallery. Below is the info passed to me from our dealer, Bennington message:

RiverBill

XL -150 PERFORMANCE PACKAGE

Unpublished as of January 26, 2012 (published package name TBA) 3/12/12

• 25” Transom

• Full length 25” center tube

• Lifting strakes on center tube

• Performance foils on inside of outer tubes

• Rounded keels on all 3 tubes

• Wave tamer (same as Express Package wave tamer)

BENEFITS

• Provides ESP-like performance and banking on lighter boats

• Planes at a lower speed than the Express Tube Package

• Better boat balance, stability, handling and reduced spray in the transom area over the Express

AVAILABILITY

This package is designed for models with 20’ & 22’ tubes. Applies to S-Series only. This package benefits lighter boats and is functional on heavier boats to a lesser degree. Transom structure is rated for 150hp or less

• 22 SL / SLX

• 24 SL / SLX

• 22 SF / SFX

• 24 SF / SFX

• 22 SSL / SSLX

• 24 SSL /SSLX

NOTES

• Hydraulic steering not forced but still highly recommended for engines with 115hp or greater

• Capacities are the same as Express Tube Package capacities

• 32 gallon in tube fuel tank (available in March) replaces pod tank. Models with above floor tanks do not change (S- misc. models)

• Does affect ski tow options. Boats with transom fuel get a all new ski tow bar (to be developed) extended aft deck will get the same bar as a non-XL-150

I've just got a few hours on my 24' SSLX with Express Package and Yamaha 150 hp. I can spin up the engine (breaking it in), and it easily pulled 6200 rpm's with a 14 pitch prop. I'm swapping for a Reliance 15 pitch prop tomorrow, and will be able to report top speed in a couple of days.

With the 14 pitch prop, it feels as if it's missing maybe 3 mph. It's said these boats ride nose high with 3 toons, and I would agree. The front end is a little buoyant in choppy waves at slow speeds. But when you throw it the throttle, the ride improves substantially. My boat responds well to trimming the engine up, with the nose easily getting out of the water. I think I'll be satisfied when I install the new prop.

I think the 115 motor would be adequate for many less aggressive boat owners--for mid speed cruisers. But if your family is into water sports, the 150 is the way to go. The 115 hp 4 strokes appear to be the best engine for fuel mileage, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaydano,

Well....we ordered the 150hp! Still another 1 1/2 weeks before we pick it up. Thanks for the advise. We are sticking with the 22 foot thought...the price just keeps edging up. Plus we are towing with my Highlander so trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. The highlander has a 5k towing capacity and we are well below that the the current set up.

Thanks
Congrats are in order! Sorry for not responding, I've been out on vacation all last week and not reading this site as much as I normally do. We rented a lake house on Maple Lake, MN, and about mid-week, my brother in law and I kayaked out about a half mile to a black Bennington that looked a lot like mine. Turns out it was a G though. Talked to the owners just a bit to tell them how nice the boat looked, then left them alone. I didn't think to ask if they were on the forum until after I was too far away to go back. Anyone here happen to be the owner of that boat?

Anyway, looks like you made the best educated decision for your needs. I have an Envoy Denali (not much bigger than a Highlander) which tows 6000 lbs, but I can't imagine towing something much more heavier than our pontoon (which weighs in at about half that amount). It really throws the truck around. MPG drops to 9 or 10. Don't worry about it though, just take it slow until you get comfortable. You may need mirror extensions for your Highlander to see around both sides of the boat. I did, but got by with just one for the driver's side mirror. I used a cheap strap on type from Walmart for about $25 or so. Works for my needs. I don't pull it much.

One last thing - Try not to gas up while towing the boat. Make sure you're full before hand as much as possible. Point is, you don't want to stop to get gas towing that monster if you don't have to when you're new at pulling a boat. If you have to stop for gas with the boat, pick a LARGE station to pull into. Truck stops are generally good even on the "car" side of the station. Just ask Bulldog, now that he's got his new Jessica Rabbit toon.

I swapped a 14 pitch prop (6200 rpm's) for a Reliance 15 pitch, and I finally got enough break in time to open the Yamaha 150 up on the 24' SSLX with Express Tube. With the bimini up, I saw 39 GPS mph at 5800 rpm's. The new prop felt much better.

My boat seems to have 3 different personalities. You have the bow bouncing at slow speeds with tri hull buoyancy and the nose displacing the water like a twin tube pontoon. When you get into the 3500-4000 rpms, it's very easy to trim the nose out of the water and run a fast cruise @ 22-25 mph. Then if you shower down on the throttle, it feels as if a gust of air lifts the front end, and it quickly accelerates to 35-38 mph.

Dropping the bimini and I'm sure this boat would get 40 mph--but probably no more. Most hours will probably be spent in the 3500-4000 rpm range anyway.

Even though the S series is Bennington's "entry level" model line, it's still a plenty luxurious ride. With the Ivory interior, it's easily the nicest pontoon boat around our lake neighborhood.

I swapped a 14 pitch prop (6200 rpm's) for a Reliance 15 pitch, and I finally got enough break in time to open the Yamaha 150 up on the 24' SSLX with Express Tube. With the bimini up, I saw 39 GPS mph at 5800 rpm's. The new prop felt much better.

My boat seems to have 3 different personalities. You have the bow bouncing at slow speeds with tri hull buoyancy and the nose displacing the water like a twin tube pontoon. When you get into the 3500-4000 rpms, it's very easy to trim the nose out of the water and run a fast cruise @ 22-25 mph. Then if you shower down on the throttle, it feels as if a gust of air lifts the front end, and it quickly accelerates to 35-38 mph.

Dropping the bimini and I'm sure this boat would get 40 mph--but probably no more. Most hours will probably be spent in the 3500-4000 rpm range anyway.

Even though the S series is Bennington's "entry level" model line, it's still a plenty luxurious ride. With the Ivory interior, it's easily the nicest pontoon boat around our lake neighborhood.
Thanks for posting your results. Been looking forward to seeing this. Do you have the 6 strake setup? You probably posted that somewhere on the forum, but I forgot.

Bamaman,

Interesting results. WIth the M14 prop mine came with I get about 35-37mph with 2 persons Bimini top up and WOT at 5900 RPMs, at 4300RPM i plane nicely at 23-25mph, so I am now wondering if changing to the reliance 15 will be worth hassling Max for. Thoughts?

Thanks

Brian

KayDano:

I got the Reliance 15 pitch prop installed, and am getting some hours on the boat. The OEM 14 pitch prop was just a little slow and over-rev'd easily @ 6200 rpms. Remember that I have the 24 SSLX with the Express Tube and Yamaha 150 hp engine--strakes just on the center tube.

I went out this afternoon, and pulled 41 mph GPS @ 6000 rpm's with the bimini up in choppy water (almost white caps.) The last couple of hundred rpms were slow in coming, however. As long as my boat's nose comes out of the water so easily, I don't see the need for 6 strakes.

The Bennie drives different than my old twin toon with 115 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. The new boat is harder to maneuver into my boathouse, and doesn't seem to track as straight at idle speeds. I also feel the additional 6" width--even with a 12' wide slip.

It's easy to get the nose out of the water by trimming the engine to halfway on the trim gauge--and 3500 to 4000 rpms is a very comfortable cruise @ 20-25 mph. The nose rides a little high with the Express Tube at medium speeds, but it's very comfortable trimmed up even in rough water. When you throw full throttle, it feels like a tunnel hull boat with a big gust of wind lifting the whole boat--and it accelerates fast from 20 mph to the high 30's. The boat has a different personality at higher speeds, and it's not boring.

My SSLX is Bronze with the lighter colored Ivory seats, Monochrome seat inserts, Taupe bimini and Mocha Palm carpets. My wife absolutely loves the rear facing recliner. It is as nice of a boat as I deserve, and nicer than 99% of the pontoons on our lake. (These things last so long that most or our local toons are 20 years old or older.)

We're very satisfied with this boat, and intend to do a 200 mile, 3 locks boat trip from Chattanooga as soon as we're past 20 hrs and do the initial service. It's nice that the Guntersville Holiday Inn has a boat dock at their back door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bamaman,

Too bad we are on different ends of the river, sounds like you guys like to cruise like we do. We used to Iive in Huntsville and have locked thru Guntersvile dam and Nickajack many times, very easy process and not as much commercial traffic as we have on this end (Kentucky Lake). We have even stayed at that Holliday Inn you mention, its pretty nice and has a fairly good restaurant last time we were there. My only regret on the 24 SSLX for us cruise type folks is the small gas tank, you will need to plan carefully your file stops and maybe even cary a extra can or two.

Take care

Brian.

P.S> Juliem, sorry we hijacked your thread, do enjoy your new boat.

Back