Buying a used Bennington

The “S’ is the “S”tarter price point series, but by no means “low end” ... ;) Don’t let that “S” scare you in any way, it’s still built like a brick **it house!!

I’ll echo the comments about low hours on an older boat. We just purchased a 2013 Bennington 22sslx with the 150 Yamaha that only had 32 hours/motor still under warranty. Based on that I didn’t take it out on the water for a test, only put it on muffs and idled for a couple minutes. Fast forward to the first time we took it out, it left us stranded and we had to be towed in. Old gas and sitting up/not being used resulted in a clogged vst filter. I was able to do all the work myself and replace it, however, I’m guessing a dealer would have charged a decent amount to replace this part as it was fairly involved labor-wise and would not have been covered under warranty. Boat is all good now and we have enjoyed several successful outings as it is basically a brand new boat. Just watch out for the maintenance that may have been neglected, possible bad fuel (even with stabilizer it goes bad after a while), and don’t think you are getting a problem free boat just because of low hours. Sometimes the ones with more hours that have been proven problem free are the better deals. Hope this helps some.

Back