Buying new electronics. Anyone install a Garmin on the S Series?

cyanarella

Reaction score
Tooners...  I am doing that thing where I am shopping but can't remember how much room I have on my dash. I want to buy the Garmin 54DV and flush mount it but I am not sure if there is space. 

I have a 2014 20SLX

Here are the 2 I am looking at

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--echomap-44dv-chartplotter-sonar-combo-with-downv-scanning-sonar--17397761?cm_mmc=EM-_-Promo-_-160409-_-N/A

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--echomap-chirp-54dv-5-inch-fishfinder-chartplotter-with-gt-23tm-downv-chirp-transducer-and-bluechart-g2-charts--17044728

I have the factory option of the Garmin, I want to say a 50c? it fits in the dash without any issues.

I picked up the 551DV and mounted it in front of the tach on the garmin provided stand. It is easier to see in that spot than being flush mounted low and behind the steering wheel. It's got a decent amount of rotation so my 7-year old first mate can let me know when we're marking fish. Is it optimal? No, but there isn't much to work with.

I also had to buy the extra extension cable as I was about a foot short on my 20' SL when running the transducer from the port side toon.

I can provide photo's in a couple weeks when we get back on the water.

Cyanerella, I have the 20 SLX, too. I believe that first one would mount in the same place as the stock Garmin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep checking back .They have said out of stock a few times 

Yeah, I waited too long the first time, then the next day they had them again. Plus they had a $5 shipping deal too. I had it in a couple days. 

The dealer actually hooked me up with a great price on a 43DV that another customer ordered and didn't pick up. They are also installing it as well flush to the dash.  Pretty excited. I will post some pics!

Yeah, the spot on the S models for flush mount to the right side of the wheel is a bit out of the way on obscured by the wheel.....  not ideal...

I mounted my Humminbird Helix 5 between the steering wheel and throttle. I agree,  pretty much any location on the S model (I have a 2014 21 SLX) is less than ideal.  I thought about a Ram mount and other possibilities too but I still chose the in-dash mount in that location because the obstruction isn't necessarily terrible and it is out of the way.  I don't usually have a problem viewing the screen while under power either. 

Yes, I flush mounted mine in the only spot available to the right of the steering wheel.   Adjust tilt of the wheel and it is OK. 

I ordered the Garmin Striker 5DV, so now, waiting for it to get here, today. I'm thinking about getting the Scotty finder mount to put it on the rail. Easy removal should be good, too. Still not decided.

I don't like where the stock finder is on the SLX. The steering wheel cuts right through the view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back