Calling Any/All Great Lakes Fisherman

Reel Ax

Reaction score
After many years of looking at strictly fishing boat (Deep V's and CC) I came to the realization with 3 kids that our family would be better served with a pontoon. I am an avid boater, as I have grown up on lakes and the great lakes fishing out of everything from 28' to my last rig a 16, so I realize the safety aspect of the weather on the big lakes. I have never fished out of a pontoon (I mainly troll) What really sold me on my rig was the test drive on Erie in solid 3' rollers . I Just purchased my Bennington and am beginning today I am going to rig her for fishing. Once I get her done I'll post pictures, in the meantime I'd like you to post pictures to see how yours is rigged. Also want to hear your experiences fishing with yours out on the lake

boat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reel Ax

Welcome. I too came from the offshore fishing crowd. Last boat was a 25 center console. We're up in Saginaw Bay with ours. There are a couple pics in my gallery. I have a 2275 rcw and in run 2 Cabelas quick mounts off the port and starboard side of the Bimini top frame. These are what I run the yellow birds off. I then have 4 rail quick draw mounts on the rail that runs around the rear lounger facing loungers. My last quick draw is mounted on my rear center gate vertically which I slide the net into.

I'll try to get a few more pics for you soon.

We do both trolling and drift fishing here. Well sometimes have to run drift bags as the 150hp struggles to get around the 1.1 to 1.6mph that seem to be in the strike zone.

They are a solid platform to fish in. Just not quite as easy as our fishing boats to just rinse the non skid decking with the wash down as this plush carpet is. Lots of towels to keep blood, worm, and all the other stuff off the upholstery.

Good luck fishing.

Todd

Great idea on the rod holders, I thought I'd be limited to just using the perimeter rail. I learned from a charter captain to rinse your worms put them in a little water and set them on the ice in the cooler, to keep the dirt out of the boat. I think I may need to invest in a broom type brush to scrub the vinyl floor if a fish bleeds. I have to mount a VHF antenna, I'm thinking I can use a square rail mount and mount it either up by the anchor light or just below the top hinge of the bimini. Do you have one mounted on yours?

Check out my gallery, as there are a few pics of how my 20 SLX has been customized for fishing.

A Minnkota with I-Pilot and Universal Sonar and another fishfinder up front, I would say is a must as I spend most of my time on the bow

fishing while watching my graph. As well with the I-Pilot you can control the trolling motor from anywhere on the boat.

Although I grew up fishing the Great Lakes area ( Lake St.Clair, Detroit River, Lake Erie ), I now live on a much smaller lake in CT. That's why I can get away with a bit smaller toon.

My vhf with dsc is awaiting install. Going to mount it either on the side of the helm near the speaker and have a rail mount with 8 foot Shakespeare fiberglass antenna. Canvas shop is going to make a cut out in the canvas so it goes around the cover. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Right now I use a hand held. Never will be on a large body of water without one.

Todd

Mtdub I will be posting pics of my vhf setup as soon as I get up to the boat, works great and

Thanks Reel Ax. I'll do the same as well.

How's the fishing? We're doing well in the walleyes but the bay is getting warm. They'll be heading for deep water soon

Todd

I wish I could tell you. spent last weekend getting radio mounted and boat ready, and taking mama out for a ride while the kids tubed. It rained all day yesterday and supposed to be 4-6 growing to 6-8 today. I'm going to sneak up on Tuesday afternoon to make the maiden fishing voyage. I'll post reports, the area I have it docked is new to me so I'm hoping I'm able to figure them out. With the weather this weekend your walleyes wont be in the deep water or long :) Jim

Mtub I posted my mounting of the vhf radio and antenna in the pontoon gallery

Looks great. Thanks for the pics. Now go slay some hawgs.. :)

Todd

Looks great. Thanks for the pics. Now go slay some hawgs.. :)

Todd
Maiden voyage tonight will post results, Worst part is I can't find anyone to go so it will be a solo trip!

Found another person. I christened her with an 18" only to be out done by my passenger who brought in a 29"er. I'm waiting to hear if he'll let me post his picture.

Is he in witness relocation???? Lets see the fish!!

gallery_5033_372_54439.jpg
I asked him as a courtesy rather than posting it all over. I cleared his face since he hasn't responded.

Nice!

Back