Can you fit 2 trolling motor batteries in the starboard bow storage compartment?

firemandoran

Reaction score
I just ordered my 22' SFX and I will be mounting a 24 volt 80# Minnekota I-Pilot Terrova trolling motor. There is a starboard storage compartment at the bow and I was wondering if I can fit 2 trolling motor batteries in there. If I can will the 27 series batteries fit or do I have to go with (2) 24 series instead. Other option I would have is to mount one under the helm and run some heavy duty wiring to it which would be a pain because of the charger. Has anyone done this? Thanks,and fish-on.

[ have a 2014 22 SFX and two batteries will not fit in the front box. you will need the bigger batteries for the 24 volt minnkota. I  one batt in the front box and the second under the front side of the lounge seat forward end. then I mounted a minnkota 2 bank onboard charger to them. I ran the wires through the floor and underneath the deck to the front charger. the charger is mounted just aft of the second battery under the chase. the 110V supply is run to the main engine battery in the changing station . I have a small maintainer charger for that battery. then when i'm ready , just plug in an extension cord. dont have to remove anything. by mounting them this way it helps to balance the boat left to right. it sits level in the water.

I have a 22 SSX and I have two 27 series and the charger all inside the bow port side seat to power my 80 lb. Terrova I-link motor. Everything fits nicely in this space.

Sorry about my post. I now see that the SFX has the two fishing chairs and the corner storage piece at the bow.

yep, the SFX doesn't have the loungers up front like the SSX. but I mounted mine in the lounger about half way back tho, and it works well

[ have a 2014 22 SFX and two batteries will not fit in the front box. you will need the bigger batteries for the 24 volt minnkota. I  one batt in the front box and the second under the front side of the lounge seat forward end. then I mounted a minnkota 2 bank onboard charger to them. I ran the wires through the floor and underneath the deck to the front charger. the charger is mounted just aft of the second battery under the chase. the 110V supply is run to the main engine battery in the changing station . I have a small maintainer charger for that battery. then when i'm ready , just plug in an extension cord. dont have to remove anything. by mounting them this way it helps to balance the boat left to right. it sits level in the water.
Thanks Grizz. Did you have to splice into the the wires to make them longer and use a heavier gauge or was the power cables for the trolling motor and charger long enough to make the run? If so what was the gauge of wire that you ran. Did you use conduit underneath? Would the other battery fit under the live well up front? Also did you mount the trolling motor slightly to the starboard side at an angle? Sorry for all the questions but I will be picking it up April 12th and want some ideas before hand. Would it be too hard to take a picture of your trolling motor mounted and a picture of just the mounting bracket. I tried to find pictures on the internet but no luck. Thanks!

sorry for the delay. i'll try to answer all your questions.

1. yes I did have to splice the wires

2. I believe it was 10 gage wire, just a little larger than the trolling motor wire

3. I did use conduit.

4.i didn't look under the live well, so I don't know if it would fit in there.

5.i mounted the trolling motor slightly to the left side of the gate to give more walkway thru the gate. I think I have pics of that in my gallery. I do have the quick disconnect bracket for removing the trolling motor if I don't want it for a particular trip

i'm happy if I can help, I think everyone here does that. that's how we all get new info on what works best and what we shouldn't do. this is a great forum for sharing information ! hope I have helped some.

Thanks for the help Grizz! I'm going to mount mine with the prop directly in the middle and the head of the trolling motor angled slightly to the starboard side toward the chair, leaving just enough room so that I can deploy it. I have an extended deck so I think it will work out OK with just the shaft going thru the gate giving me enough room to walk thru.

yep, that'll work, just make sure the trolling motor prop doesn't hit the upright stops on the trailer !

I also have a 22SFX and I was able to get 2 size 27 batteries in the storage compartment(tight fit but it can be done).  You can not use the storage trays so I just mounted the straps to the floor to stabilize the batteries.

Thanks, guys. You were right Mikfort51, I was able to get (2) 27 series batteries in there.

Back