Captains chair creaking at base.

Ron Heller

Reaction score
So my captains chair begain creaking at the base. Tightened up all the bolts securing it to the floor, most were barely over hand tight. This made it a bit better, but still the creak every now and then. Its definately coming from where the base is mounted to the floor. Whats peoples thoughts of doubling up some plywood or maybe a sheet of 1/4" aluminum under the base to stiffen up the floor where the seat bolts down?

This may be a bit of over kill. But I did this to raise the helm seat to allow me to see over guests.

BCC61214-AF57-40F4-BCC8-2E1FB0431ED4.jpeg

My 2013 had a "rocky" captains helm so I tried to tighten the phillips mounting screws from top to discover the nuts below just spin. Not easy access to reach bottom nuts with a wrench because of aluminum trim across top of tunes. Have they improved this design in newer Bennys? If they had a ring or plate with welded nuts and extra deck reinforcement to prevent rocking would be great improvement in design.

My 2013 had a "rocky" captains helm so I tried to tighten the phillips mounting screws from top to discover the nuts below just spin. Not easy access to reach bottom nuts with a wrench because of aluminum trim across top of tunes. Have they improved this design in newer Bennys? If they had a ring or plate with welded nuts and extra deck reinforcement to prevent rocking would be great improvement in design.

No, its the same. Philips heads on top with lock nuts and washers on the bottom side. I tightend up the nuts while a friend kept the philips from turning. I agree a ring or a plate on the bottom side would help significantly. It just needs reinforcing in my opinion.

Just put slightly larger washers on bottom. The larger the washer, the larger spread of the load. Double/triple stack if need be. Personally, I’d make a large plate and install underneath.

This may be a bit of over kill. But I did this to raise the helm seat to allow me to see over guests.

View attachment 27405
Looks good! I imagine a weld shop made that?
Keep in mind that this will increase the leverage of any "rocking" action in the chair. So a plate on the underside to sandwich the plywood may be beneficial.

what is the thing you sat the chair on? I want to do this to my boat, I can't see over the windshield and peoples heads.
My dealer had this custom-made for me. He knew a metal fabricator who created it. Cost me about $250 four years ago.

Back