Captains chair creaking at base.

Ron Heller

Reaction score
So my captains chair begain creaking at the base. Tightened up all the bolts securing it to the floor, most were barely over hand tight. This made it a bit better, but still the creak every now and then. Its definately coming from where the base is mounted to the floor. Whats peoples thoughts of doubling up some plywood or maybe a sheet of 1/4" aluminum under the base to stiffen up the floor where the seat bolts down?

dannyleininger

Reaction score
This may be a bit of over kill. But I did this to raise the helm seat to allow me to see over guests.

BCC61214-AF57-40F4-BCC8-2E1FB0431ED4.jpeg

jhill

Reaction score
My 2013 had a "rocky" captains helm so I tried to tighten the phillips mounting screws from top to discover the nuts below just spin. Not easy access to reach bottom nuts with a wrench because of aluminum trim across top of tunes. Have they improved this design in newer Bennys? If they had a ring or plate with welded nuts and extra deck reinforcement to prevent rocking would be great improvement in design.

Ron Heller

Reaction score
My 2013 had a "rocky" captains helm so I tried to tighten the phillips mounting screws from top to discover the nuts below just spin. Not easy access to reach bottom nuts with a wrench because of aluminum trim across top of tunes. Have they improved this design in newer Bennys? If they had a ring or plate with welded nuts and extra deck reinforcement to prevent rocking would be great improvement in design.

No, its the same. Philips heads on top with lock nuts and washers on the bottom side. I tightend up the nuts while a friend kept the philips from turning. I agree a ring or a plate on the bottom side would help significantly. It just needs reinforcing in my opinion.

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
Just put slightly larger washers on bottom. The larger the washer, the larger spread of the load. Double/triple stack if need be. Personally, I’d make a large plate and install underneath.