Care and Maintenance Questions about the Toons

Cpabst39

Reaction score
All,

New to this site so be gentle. I purchased my first Bennington a couple weeks ago 22 SSRX with a 150 Suzuki black with Mediterranean  blue accent stripe. I'm new to pontoon ownership but not boat ownership. My last boat was a 21' Sportcraft. I'm very careful and meticulous when it come to the care and cleaning of my boats. I have a few questions about care and what to expect the aluminum toons to look like. My fiberglass boat was fairly easy to care for but it seems the pontoon shows everything on the toons.

1. I have what appear to be surface scratches on the toons (almost like swirl marks in car paint) Is this normal to expect from a pontoon. What should I expect them to look like?
  2. On the Port toon in the rear I have some white marks that look like scuff marks, no dents or damage in the area just the scuff marks. What is the best way to remove the marks?
  3. It came with Sharkhyde from the factory what are the do's and don'ts of sharkhyde when it comes to cleaning the toons. I trailer the boat and always wipe down everything as soon as I pull it out of the water.
  4. I have the matte aluminium rub rail. What is the best way to keep it looking good and minimize scratches and hazing? I always use fenders when at a dock.

Thanks for the pointers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best thing to do is bring it to the dealers attention so it is on record as a warranty issue, see what he wants to do.  It would seem once a scratch is in the Sharkhide, or under, the coating needs to be removed, the blemish taken care of and then re-coated.  A timely process.  I have pics in my gallery showing a bad application of Sharkhide from the dealer.  I just opted for my money back and went on with boating, I am not stressing it.  Remember, you don't see that from the captains seat.  Good to see another Suzuki on here.       

All,

New to this site so be gentle. I purchased my first Bennington a couple weeks ago 22 SSRX with a 150 Suzuki black with Mediterranean  blue accent stripe. I'm new to pontoon ownership but not boat ownership. My last boat was a 21' Sportcraft. I'm very careful and meticulous when it come to the care and cleaning of my boats. I have a few questions about care and what to expect the aluminum toons to look like. My fiberglass boat was fairly easy to care for but it seems the pontoon shows everything on the toons.

1. I have what appear to be surface scratches on the toons (almost like swirl marks in car paint) Is this normal to expect from a pontoon. What should I expect them to look like?
  2. On the Port toon in the rear I have some white marks that look like scuff marks, no dents or damage in the area just the scuff marks. What is the best way to remove the marks?
  3. It came with Sharkhyde from the factory what are the do's and don'ts of sharkhyde when it comes to cleaning the toons. I trailer the boat and always wipe down everything as soon as I pull it out of the water.

Thanks for the pointers.

Welcome aboard.

1. Very light swirl marks are nothing; probably has to do with preparation of the boat.  Two or three weeks from now you probably won't even notice them.  If they are anything other than that, it's not normal.  Check with the dealer.

2.  It would depend what the marks are.  Go lightly with whatever you use to try and remove them.  Pics would help.

3.  Just soap and water for Sharkhide.  Dawn works good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back