Ceramic and toon guard

SquareB

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the value of applying Ceramic and toon guards?

Its been mentioned here in the past ,you can do a search in the upper right corner

Cliff notes from my memory of those discussions:

toon guards - good

ceramic - probably a waste of money cause it doesn't last... sharkhide is much more durable, but if you keep your boat in a slip, it'll wear off fairly quickly as well...

If you are talking about Ceramic coating for the Benny Walls and interior:
I went ahead and tried it - $2K with a 5 year warranty / thus $400 year. The side walls certainly clean up MUCH faster (vs just the Bling Hot Sauce we used the last 2 seasons), as well as the engine cover. It is not clear to me if they coated the framing. And, they require a special cleaner to be used, which seems to work well (vinegar, water, their special ceramic sauce), free during the 5 years (though I have to pick up a gallon at a time - which covers about 6 cleanings). I am 50/50 if this is a better solution that just an annual detail / waxing at $500, but in year 1 I do like that we save about 15 minutes + each time we wipe down the boat after use - much less effort to get rid of water spots - we have really hard water.

Last edited:

toon guards - good

ceramic - probably a waste of money cause it doesn't last... sharkhide is much more durable, but if you keep your boat in a slip, it'll wear off fairly quickly as well...
Forgot to include that I was specifically referring to treating the logs…

Ceramic on the simtex voids the warranty the last time I checked…. But on the playpen and motor, I’d do it.

toon guards - good

Hope to take delivery of our new 27 QSBWAT2 the end of July or first week in August, the sharkhide is being applied at the factory, the dealer is offering (for a small fee, ha, ha) the ceramic and toon guards. We'' keep it in a slip on a hoist, we'll be transitioning from a v hull to the tri-toon so of the two I think the toon guards might be the best for us.

Forgot to include that I was specifically referring to treating the logs…

Ceramic on the simtex voids the warranty the last time I checked…. But on the playpen and motor, I’d do it.
Thank for the tip on the warranty, I'll double check on that with our dealer before doing anything.

Back