Changing boat lift from v-hull boat to Bennington pontoon

bb3

Reaction score
I have a 6000 lb. boat lift that was originally set up for a 17.5 Scout boat. We are selling the Scout and I want to change the lift to support our 2012 Bennington 24SLX which is listed as 22'04" on the title. Anyway, my main question involves how to support the boat. Can the pontoons (dual not a tritoon) just sit directly on wood boards?

Also, do the bolts that hold the boards to the lift need to be countersunk. If not, would the bolts possibly damage one of the pontoons?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

I don't own a lift ,but I would counter sink the bolts if you think they could hit the pontoons.

It should be absolutely fine just sitting on wood support beams. That said, I would absolutely counter sink the bolts adequately, and keep on eye on them. If sticking up at all, they will scrap or possible damage the pontoon. If counter-sunk adequately, you should be fine.

Not sure how you plan to mount the boards, but would recommend looking at composite boards if you are just mounting directly above the lift supports (thus each board is directly on top of the lift structure). Many composites are not intended to span more than 12 or 16 inches but they are rot resistant. I would not use green treated lumber, but that is just me.

i used these brackets on my lift with 11' 2x8 white pine boards uncovered. The brackets are heavy duty and well worth the price. I wanted the V bunks for picking it up.
1689081940708.png

Back